Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Crust

I just saw @ddegger post some pics of some great looking pies. That is the next thing I want to try. So my question is...what do you use for pizza crust? I don't mine the effort but if there is a great option, that doesn't require making from scratch, I'd rather go that route. Thanks!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    We use the whole wheat dough from Trader Joe's. Their white is good too.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Then your best bet is to buy it at your bakery or local pizza store.  But if you like good pizza, you will gladly make it from scratch --  biggest problem is thinking ahead and having it ready when you are ready to eat pizza.  My last batch sat made and ready for three days in the refrigerator and i was wondering how it would cook???  It turned out one of my best !
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    What's the recipe you use tuna? Thanks
  • Que_n_Brew
    Thanks BGBB
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I use Jamie Oliver's recipe and use the 5 cups 00 or regular flour (I prefer 00 but don't always have it) and 2 cups semolina I find the semolina gives it a nice chew. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html
    I make it in my kitchenaid and can tell you my method if needed.

I've tried a few other recipes and always come back to this one.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

This will give you a great thin crust pie.

1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1  teaspoon sugar

3/4 cup warm water (about 105 degrees)

1  cup of cake flour ( i used bread flour)

1  cup plus three tablespoons all purpose flour

1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt

1  tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

In a small bowl, whisk togeter the yeast, sugar and warm water and let stand until foamy, about five minutes.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a dough blade, combine the cake flour, all purpose flour and salt and pulse 3 or 4 times.

Whisk 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into the yeast mixture.

With the motor running, slowly add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding more.

Pulse the machine 10 to 15 times to knead the dough.  Thge doughshould clean the insides of the bowl, but be slightly sticky.

Coat the inside of a large bowl with the remaining olive oil.

Dust your hands with flour and remove the dough from the food processor. Form the dough into a ball and place in the large bowl.  Cover the large bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place until it doubles in size  -- 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Divide the dough in half to make two 10 inch thin pizza crusts..

• Que_n_Brew
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    +1 For getting it from a good local pizza shop. Last time I did that the owner was not there and the people had no idea what to charge. I kept offering to pay and they gave me two balls with out charging, I tipped what I normally pay for them. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I like cold fermented. It can sit in the fridge for 1 to 5 days, so if you aren't really sure, you have some latitude. Google "cold-fermeted pizza dough." My recipe apparently is too long to post here.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Thanks for the compliment @Que! I'm going to try some of these great looking recipes, like the one Tuna posted. So far I've used Trader Joes with great results (didn't want learning the EGG to be interfered with by inexperience with dough making). Now that I've got the egging down I'll move on to trying my own dough. Interesting thing about the TJ dough is that instructions say to bake at 350 but I did 550-600 with no problems