Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock Chickens on my AR W/ Pics

Used my AR to cook up some spatchcock chickens. The lighter one has Pineapple Head the darker one is with Dizzy Dust (Both from Dizzy Pig).

Not sure the AR should even be called an accessory - it is more like an essential component!

·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,117
    Very nice. Direct cook?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • BigGreenBBQBigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Yep - direct cook on the top shelf of the XL AR - @ 300°-350° for about 90 minutes.
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Good looking birds! How did you like the pineapple head one? I tried it once and prefer to use it on other things, especially sweet potato fries, but maybe I didn't use enough. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
    I like it a lot - has a very floral smell and a sweet taste (I think it has lots of sugar in it). I used a good amount on it too.  It is pretty mild so the kiddies like it better. This is the first time I used it on poultry -- I would use it again for sure.  - I bet it is awesome on sweet potato fries! 
    ·

Thinly sliced up some breast meat on top of some jasmine rice, chopped cilantro, a squeeze of a line and just a kiss of sriracha hot sauce.   

·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Im about to pull the trigger on an A/R. Is it pretty easy to deal with? How would it be double stacking ribs? Im doing a big cook for Easter. I have the XL as well.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,583
    Those both look excellent! 

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·

@Plano_JJ The AR is one of the best purchases you can make - its really awesome. I would recommend getting both the 20" and the 16" grid along with the slide -- makes it easy to pull things out.  I have not used it for ribs yet but plan to soon. I think it would be pretty easy.           

I changed my user name (had to just create a new account) but the below link is something I posted a few days back -- you won't be disappointed.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1302993/#Comment_1302993

·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 110
    The adjustable rig is awesome. Buy it.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    What did it cost you ?
    ·

CGS has a package deal for about $200. Sounds pricey but its well built and works for what I needed. Plus Tom (the owner) is very helpful and his product is made in the USA.

·
    What size egg do you have?  I like to cook the whole meal in the egg and can see where this would certainly give me another level for cooking without the problem of fighting the center post which i have now !!
    ·

@Charlie tuna I have an XL. I think the same way - I loving to cook a few different things in my egg at the same time and the AR gives me this option.  Next weekend I am going to cook some ATB, stuff shrooms and paella. I will be able to do it all at the same time on different levels.  

·
    I think i will "pull the trigger" on this for a large???  Someone said the cost was around $150.00??
    ·
    @Charlie tuna Yea the XL is a bit more - plus I got the combo setup -- I think you'll be happy. I have never anyone say it was a bad investment. Real quality stuff in my opinion. 
    ·