Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Overnight Sans Gasket

Options
I'm into hour 11 of my first overnight since my gasket went bye-bye.  14lb packer has held steady b/w 235-250º throughout.  The mothership sent a replacement gasket as soon as I let them know about my former one but figured i'd give it a go without b/c it seems like quite a job to replace and lots of folks here say they egg without.  If things hold as they have been for the next few hours, my next post with pics will be titled "gasket schmasket"
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    I also forgot to mention another important fact- the overnight low here was 10º!!!

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Have you calculated the loss of lump during your shutdown time?
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    it seems to take a bit longer to shut down but I mostly do low and slow and I use all of my lump on these cooks regardless.  I'll know better with pizzas later in the week

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have NEVER done a cook -- never --- where i didn't have lump left over??  The one thing i really noticed after installing a new gasket on my large was the "lump consumption"!!  I was wasting a lot of lump during the shutdown process!! 
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    So then my next posting should be lump schmump.  As long as my lump lasts, I don't mind refilling for each overnight smoke.  Also, I've gotten pretty good at estimating the min amount necessary for each cook so I'm not filling my fire box each time anyway.  I pulled the brisket off at about 15 hours and potatoes for an hour.  Shutting down now so we'll see.  It doesn't have far to go from 225 and it being 20º outside with snow melting on my dome.

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    The subject is basically cooking without a gasket and many people do!  And i did for a year after my factory gasket burnt up within three months of being NEW!  I really didn't see much of an improvement in cooking.  My biggest issue turned out to be "lump consumption", and so did many other forum members.  This forum is here to help others, on such issues.  I would love to be able to load just enough lump into my egg for a certain type cook.  This would help my cost of operation.  Any overnight cook i have done, had so many variables, i find it hard to determine how you do this???