Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Shoulder / Picnic vs Boston Butt Side by side comparison w/ pics

cdees_1993cdees_1993 Posts: 135
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
I cooked these the exact same being indirect with drip pan with water and apple juice over hickory chips.  Only difference being the types of rub.  I tried to do a side by side comparison on both and since I heard that the picnic would finish sooner, I put the probe in it and monitored from there.  

Here are pics of the cook which was at 240-250 degrees for about 10 hours.  Both were similar in weight at a little over 4 lbs.

Picnic / Pork shoulder

Boston Butt

Smoke ring on picnic

Both pulled with picnic on left and butt on right

My personal favorite sauce!  Shouldn't I get paid for this promo! HAHAHAHAHAHAA  It is really good!!
Again, picnic on left and butt on the right.

All in all there isn't a lot of difference.  The most notable being that the picnic / shoulder was a little less juicy.  
Both will make you beat your brains out with your tongue, but if I had to pic I would stick with the butt!  

Again, to get them to the correct IT, it took about 10 hours.

Just depends on preference!

It definitely has her approval!!  

·

Comments