Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Reverse sear on a steak

Options
Had a very successful first attempt at a reverse sear. A relatively thin porterhouse, probably 3/4 inch. Direct on the cast iron grill. Ten minutes each side at 250. Removed the steak and fired up to 500. Sixty seconds each side. Perfectly done to medium throughout, with a nice sear on the outside.
LBGE

Comments

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    And the Sam Adams Imperial White high gravity beer helped out too.
    LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks great!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice looking steak. The thing I like about reverse is the crust. It is full of flavour, but not charred to oblivion, which is what I usually end up with (because I'm stupid) if I try to just grill direct at high heat. 
    Also - looks like a simple baked spud, butter and chive? Yum!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options

Nice looking steak. The thing I like about reverse is the crust. It is full of flavour, but not charred to oblivion, which is what I usually end up with (because I'm stupid) if I try to just grill direct at high heat. 
    Also - looks like a simple baked spud, butter and chive? Yum!
    Yeah, a basic meat and potatoes steak meal. Alas, green onions (scallions), not chives. But still good. And yes, the crust was perfect also. Of all the things I do on the egg, a steak has been the hardest to get right. Until now with this reverse sear, which is very easy. Had to guess on the low temp part, the steak was too thin to get a good temperature reading. But it was just right.
    LBGE
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have not tried the reverse sear yet. My steaks have been so good cooking at 700 +/- for 2 or 3 minutes depending on thickness, then I grill the veggies while the steaks are foiled then toss them on again for 30 sec or so to get them hot before eating. We both like them Pittsburgh style (charred) and medium rare.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • b0younce
    b0younce Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree. I want to try reverse sear but I grille them 90 sec, rotate then another 90 sec then flip and do the same. Take off grille and rest for 8 min. Greatest steak I have ever tasted. It is a char crust because of the high heat but most upscale steakhouses serve their steaks with the char crust