Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire went out

Options
Ok I know I always say that I've never needed a pit controller but apparently last night the snow and cold was too much for my medium. Woke up and fire completely out and 10 pound packer brisket was just sitting there in the cold.  Can I relight the lump and proceed or should I just give up?
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Bet A pit controller would not have helped that. If it burnt a hole up the middle?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Re-light and continue. What's your internal temp?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Any where between 130 and 110 depending on where you poke the meat.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Was the brisket so big that it smothered the fire??  Outside temperatures should have litlle effect on the fire, unless the outside temperatires caused the egg to use up all the lump..
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Yeah @Charlie tuna, I think maybe the 10 pound brisket stuffed in the medium probably just took to much space in the Egg. Thought I had it pretty stable before going to sleep after having it on about 5 hours but I guess I didn't.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    When i first got my egg i had a bunch of people over and was cooking rib eyes on the CI grill.  The number of steaks completely covered the grill, and shut the fire down.  Took me a few minutes to realize what was going on !!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I highly doubt the size of the brisket had anything to do with it.  I have had my three BGE's stuffed so full the lids would hardly close.  If it burned for 5 hrs, the meat was not the issue.

The outside air temp is only an issue with charcoal consumption.  The colder it is, the more charcoal it's going to use to maintain internal temp.  Heat is lost by radiating into the colder air through the shell, and the into the bypass around the firebox (minimal loss for low & slow.)

What most likely happened is the charcoal settled and snuffed out the fire.  After 12-18 hrs some of the charcoal had run its course and turned to ash.  That ash is sitting on top of your fire grate.  The rest of the lump settled, and since the firebox is shaped like a funnel, it pushed it all together.  No airflow = no fire.

Take coat hangar, pull it down, then put a 90 degree angle in the hook.  Stick that up into the hole of the fire grate and watch how much ash falls out once you agitate it.

As the temp dropped outside, it may have lowered the internal temp enough to kill the fire, but I bet it's a lack of O2.  A temp controller may have helped force feed air if a little passage remained, but they cannot do their job if the grate is clogged.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Just saying, I have yet to see a post where the fire went out while using a controller. I don't use mine often, but would not think of overnighter without it. Easy to rationalize the possible causes, but the things do what they are supposed to do. They keep the fire lit and at a constant temp.
  • Scottborasjr
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I have a High-q grate so I doubt that it plugged up but I haven't checked it. Really think between the snow plugging the daisy wheel and lack of air after that, it just went out.  We are fired back up and cooking away.  Here's a peek.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Having a High-q grate means little IF(?) the air flow is stopped at the grill level.  No air flow = No fire...  
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Completely agree Charlie, no air flow does mean no fire. Grate wasn't plugged, daisy wheel was, and with the 1/4 inch opening on the bottom I really think it just snuffed itself out.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Then it was "operator error" !  When cooking a big piece of meat like a brisket or even a large butt, i notice i need to adjust my top vent to compensate the "stabilized" egg for the large cold chunk of meat placed inside.  If not the egg will drop temperature at a fast rate.  I have never allowed the drop to continue to see waht happens???  I don't turn my back on the egg until my egg is "stabilized" WITH the meat inside.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Completely was operator error, I know that.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @Scottborasjr-about the only OE (operator error) I see here is the snow plugging the daisy wheel.  That's a hard one to plan for-and yes no air=no fire but don't be too hard on yourself.  Time for that supervisory adult beverage.  I'm sure it will turn out great. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    This is the reason I only do daytime cooks. I don't want a stoker (just my personal preference, if I need that much unattended control I'll use the oven) and I hate the Maverick waking me up every two hours. I prefer to sleep well and cook during the day. Granted, this limits the type of cook. Things happen, your lump may have burned down the middle and effectively back-burned itself out, the egg may not have been stable and cooking away with the meat in it. I don't think airflow is an issue, looks like lots of space around the meat and setter/drip surface. 
    Good luck with the rest of the "daytime" cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap, I'm at least going to try to hold off on the adult beverage until the first basketball game gets started, then when SWMBO glares at me I can say I was watching a game. 
    ;)
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I have a High-q grate so I doubt that it plugged up but I haven't checked it. Really think between the snow plugging the daisy wheel and lack of air after that, it just went out.  We are fired back up and cooking away.  Here's a peek.

Ok, it was definitely the daisy wheel then.  It doesn't take much blockage to disrupt the flow on a low & slow cook.  A temp controller may have blown the snow out of the holes and kept the temp up to melt it, but it's tough to keep the temp up when water it hitting the shell.

But, there is no way that piece of meat was "too big" for the medium.  You have plenty of space around it.  Besides, it was on there for 5 hrs without a problem.  Unless it released a ton of moisture all the sudden, it doesn't make a difference that far into the cook.

To combat that problem with snow and rain on the daisy wheel, you can use a coffee can with the side cut out of it.  Keep the opening on the downwind side.  Or I saw a new product that looked like a wood stove or furnace chimney cap with a regulator built into it.  Sharp product, I'll probably get one or make my own.

Get yourself a temp controller.  I have the fittings on all three of my Eggs, then just use it on whichever one I'm doing low & slow on.  Sometimes I have upwards of $50 of meat stuffed in the XL, it was nothing to drop $110 on a controller to be able to "set it, and forget it!"

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options
    I agree with getting a PID. I cook over night and never worry about the egg getting too hot or too cold. When I do it the daisy wheel is shut too so in your case the snow would not have been an issue. As you know there are tons of PIDs to choose from. That's another topic in itself. I got mine from Auber Instruments. Pretty happy with it so far.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

I agree with getting a PID. I cook over night and never worry about the egg getting too hot or too cold. When I do it the daisy wheel is shut too so in your case the snow would not have been an issue. As you know there are tons of PIDs to choose from. That's another topic in itself. I got mine from Auber Instruments. Pretty happy with it so far.

If the daisy wheel is closed, where are you venting to? The temp controller is pumping air into the egg, it has to come out somewhere. Is your gasket worn out? Is it venting around the underside of the cap?
  • BigGreenBBQ
    edited March 2013
    Options
    <P>Underside of the cap. The seal is tight (dollar bill certified). Its not a ton of air going in - just enough to stoke the coals and keep them at my desired temp.</P>
    <P>I left it open once and it got too hot too quickly - toasted my brisket. Now I keep it closed. </P>
  • BigGreenBBQ
    Options
    @Stlcharcoal -- I looked at a photo I had with the PID connected and - yep you were right  - the wheel was slightly open (less than 1/4).  I guess I was too much into the Guinness and just did not remember  I think your idea on the coffee can would solve this issue...     ^:)^
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    When i am cooking "low and slow" i use my DigiQ and close the top vent completely.  When the fan comes on, i will see some smoke from different points around my gasket area and more in the hinge area where the gasket is damaged.  That will hold my lowest temperature of about 250 degrees.  For the turbo cook that is fine until i reach an internal of 160 degrees.  At that point i triple foil and place the butt back on the grill till i reach 210 degrees internal(i inject so added temperature to finish).  During this end of the cook i might bump the dome temperature up to 300 to 350 degrees -- depending whene i want to finish and rest the butt!  
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2013
    Options

I agree with BigGreen about the snow issue, I have never seen snow build up on an egg that was cooking. Your fire was out before the snow built up on the DMFT. Now maybe it was coming down inches an hour for hours on end but I still think if your fire was going the snow would have melted.

I should have quoted stlcharcoal. I-)