Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect on small

Options
To owners of small BGEs, I'm looking to make an addition to the family with a small to compliment the large for quick cooks, extra cooking space, portability, etc, and I have a couple questions.

Do y'all go indirect with a platesetter or the small woo w/10" stone?  Then, if you want to do pizza, do you just add another stone on top of the grid?

I was looking on the CGS - http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/categories/Small-&-Mini-Big-Green-Egg®-Set%2dUps/Small-Big-Green-Egg®-Set%2dUps/ - at the options instead of a PS. 

Also, how hard is it to lift out a small from it's nest once it's nestled in there?  Debating a nest vs the "Egg Carten"...

Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    The small is heavy but I can lift it out of the nest and carry it around. If you take the internal pieces out it is no problem, I'm usually too lazy to do that.

My pizza set up is plate setter, grid, pizza stone, same as in my large. I have a Woo3 for the large and that would be very useful for the small...but I don't have one.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    If I was buying it now, I would buy an EggCarten instead of the nest. They seem very practical and I don't really need mine to roll.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tom owns CGS and is a very active EggHead. Call him Monday and he will answer you questions having to do with set up.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited March 2013
    Options
    VOE. Don't waste your money on a plate setter for the small. Buy the 8.5 inch Old Stone pizza rounds from Amazon (28.00) and the woo from Tom at CGStore. You will be all set and have more versatility.
    My small plate setter is used to place hot items on it. If I use plate setter feet up it puts out the fire. Works fairly well with feet down as long as it want a temp less than 350. I am not the only one that has this problem. Don't know if plate setter dimensions have changed (small is three years old).
    .Look into egg CARTen if you want to travel with it
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Go with the woo & stones.  I have that set up and the plate setter and the plate setter gathers dust.  +1 with @Hi54putty about the EggCarten. 

Confession time:  I didn't secure my small in the back of the mini van a couple of weeks ago and when I turned the corner...BOOM!  Nothing was broken (thank the Lord!), but I felt like a total Bozo!  The small in the nest is top heavy like Dolly Parton.  And like Dolly Parton, that top heavy thing needs securing or someone will get hurt!  The EggCarten has a much lower center of gravity.  Pack a light stool to set it on with a silicon mat.  That's what I would do.

Flint, Michigan
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    I agree. Just to clarify, I never travel with the nest. I just use the feet and set the small on the ground.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Before I sold my Small I never used the plate setter. Save your money for important items.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.