Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What if someone likes their roast more well done??

I've picked up a 5.5lb sirloin tip roast for a dinner party tomorrow and can't wait to smoke it slow. I realize with this cut, it's so lean that taking it higher than 135° it risks drying out, but my father, is one of those well done type of people. Over the years I've got him almost OK with medium-well. Now what is the best way to turn a perfectly cooked hunk of meet into a not totally ruined well done piece? In the past I've taken some and put it in hot au jus to heat it more, but I feel like I'm boiling meat. Any other ways people use?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
·

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Cook it to 125 -- remove it -- slice a portion off and throw it back on for a few minutes..
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,348
    Cook it to 125 -- remove it -- slice a portion off and throw it back on for a few minutes..
    Exactly what I was thinking

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    Yup, what Charlie tuna said.
    Also, lean cuts of meat won't benefit from slow cooking.  I'd cook it at 350 or so until it hits 125.  Take off, chop a slice off and cook it some more if he insists on eating a dry piece of leather.  Everyone is happy...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Tell them it's my house you'll eat what I cook... That's what my Dad would do to me growing up ;-)
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,556
    +3 What Tuna said otherwise you can order him a Pizza.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 487
    edited March 2013
    JRWhitee said:
    +3 What Tuna said otherwise you can order him a Pizza.

Are you kidding? He's had my Egg'd pizza, he'd complain I got him take out.

@double - +1 I can use it as a teachable moment about the circle of life.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    The best advice to the OP is no need to go low and slow.  350-375 until desired temp.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Also there is always "the microwave" !!
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,103
    edited March 2013
    Also there is always "the microwave" !!

one of the dirtiest restaurant tricks of all times. Send back a steak and say you want it well done......hello microwave.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,215
    Well, not quite dirty.... Those microwaves kill all kinds of crap that they pass through ;)
    ·
  • Well, not quite dirty.... Those microwaves kill all kinds of crap that they pass through ;)

If you've ever seen the inside of a commercially used micro, you know that is a good thing :))

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,286
    Have some bouillon? Learned this at the PR joint I worked at years ago, take a medium cut and put it in a pot of simmering to almost boiling beef bouillon or au jus if you have it. leave it there until it is well done. Kind of like sous vide on steroids. Much better than the nuke. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,271
    DIL is same way. While meat resting open up the egg to get a good fire going, cut her portion off and return to egg to sear. Microwave is other option
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·