Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub Pork Ribs night before, or just before throwing them on?

No need for a message, I guess. Title says it all. Will an overnight rub remove too much moisture, or add flavor?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I've done them both the night before, and a couple hours before and to be honest have not been able to tell the difference.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I don't bother rubbing anything overnight anymore.  Rub right before I put the meat on, easier and I can't tell the difference.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    The only time that I rub them the night before is when I am doing a whole lot.  i.e. 60 slabs or something like that.  

If I am cooking a few slabs on the egg, I do it while the egg is warming up.  I don't really notice a difference either way.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Makes no difference that I can tell.  I just do what is most expedient and 5-6 hours later I've got great ribs and can't tell a lick of difference.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498

i like to do them nite before, but have done just before in a pinch!like the results either way!! enjoy!

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I've done them both ways and have seen little difference.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I've always done them night before but I'd do either way
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The only time I have noticed a difference is with really meaty loin back ribs. Overnight had a little deeper flavor.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Put me in the 30 mins before camp.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have done both but have not noticed a difference.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Thanks for all the responses. It gave me an out last night. i cleaned them, squared up the spareribsnto st. louis style, and threw them into the fridge covered in saran wrap. I'm just about to rub them and throw them on this morning. Pics to come later.
    Athens, GA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    You left out one option: Just before you eat them. You can just cook them without a rub and then use a 'dipping sauce' (with rub in it), too!
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    One more question before I start. When people say 250 degrees, do you mean grate temp or dome temp? I've to speed it up and tried turbo ribs and I'm not a huge fan. I'd rather stick with low and slow. The bark makes the rib, in my opinion.
    Athens, GA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Dome
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.