Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off Topic....Homemade Pizza Rolls (pix)

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052

My wife went out with her girlfriends for dinner tonight, so that left me home to experiment a little.  I'm always bored when she's gone, so I never have anything else better to do with my time.  :)   @EddieK76 was telling me earlier that he was home with a cold, and snacking on some Totino's Pizza Rolls.  I, too, am a fan of that fatty, evil little pocket of true Italian goodness.  Ok, maybe not true Italian, but they are tasty nonetheless.  ;)  He gave me an idea... Why not homemade?  I was about to go with the pizza dough I had in the fridge, but ended up going with Wonton Wrappers instead.  And, I was going to toss them on the Egg to cook them up, but figured it would be easier if I fried them up on the stove top.  I'm not sure how the wonton wrappers would do on the grill anyways.  I'm sure there's a way, but tonight I took the easy way out.  BTW, I hope you feel better soon, Eddie!

I found these teenie tiny pepperonis to stuff in the rolls, along with some mozzarella, sauce and ricotta cheese.

Started with one wonton wrap, laid it out flat and paint it with a little water...then placed in the toppings...

Then painted another wonton wrap down with water and laid it on top...then used my wife's pastry crimper to seal the edges.

Next, I placed the Pizza Rolls in the freezer to firm up while I preheated the oil.

They only took a minute or so to fry up.  Topped them with a little salt afterward.

They actually weren't greasy at all.  As long as you have the oil preheated right, they won't absorb it too much at all.

Word of caution....If you try these out, GIVE THEM TIME TO REST!!  I made that mistake tonight.  :(  I think my mouth and my thumb have some sort of degree of burns.  Not thinking, I bit into one after only a few seconds and the cheese was like flowing lava.  I burned my thumb when I had to spew out what I just bit into.  lol 

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Man that look's good. I'm hungry

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Look awesome!  I would totally burn my mouth...then wait like 30 seconds and burn my mouth again.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    That is cool Dyal. Can't wait to copy you....again.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Thanks, fellas'!

@Chubbs, if you try them and have leftover won ton wraps, don't try and use them for raviolis like the package suggests for alternative uses. I tried baking and boiling them with just cheese inside for ravioli leftovers. Both methods sucked big time. Stick with frying them up. :) I'm glad I didn't try to bake them on the egg. Also, the fried pizza rolls are really good with some extra sauce on the side. Oh, and I just saw another similar recipe on Pinterest. Their recipe didn't have do much cheese inside like mine did. Theirs had more meat and tomatoes. That makes sense, since the cheese melts so much on the inside. It leaves somewhat of an air gap after the cheese melts. I will go without the ricotta next time most likely, with diced tomatoes and more meat in its place. :)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thanks, fellas'! @Chubbs, if you try them and have leftover won ton wraps, don't try and use them for raviolis like the package suggests for alternative uses. I tried baking and boiling them with just cheese inside for ravioli leftovers. Both methods sucked big time. Stick with frying them up. :) I'm glad I didn't try to bake them on the egg. Also, the fried pizza rolls are really good with some extra sauce on the side. Oh, and I just saw another similar recipe on Pinterest. Their recipe didn't have do much cheese inside like mine did. Theirs had more meat and tomatoes. That makes sense, since the cheese melts so much on the inside. It leaves somewhat of an air gap after the cheese melts. I will go without the ricotta next time most likely, with diced tomatoes and more meat in its place. :)

Good tip. Thanks Dyal.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Very creative Dyal, looks good.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    That looks great.  You're reminding me of toasted ravioli we had in St. Louis last year.  I'm addicted to them now.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    Nice... I'll bet my seven year old will LOVE those.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nothing like awesome junk food that you actually know what's in it. Nice job.