Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Spatchcock

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
imageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Very nice Mickey
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2013
    What size bird Mickey? Looks great?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Little under 4 lbs Chubbs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Fryer or roasting bird? Is there a difference with either when spatching?
  • Mickey
    Fryer and this is a non water added bird.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks good Mickey!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Nice Mickey!  You rock the mini!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Nice, Mickey.  What's the rub?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Is that one of them CM $13.00 air chilled birds? Looks like it would be mighty tasty
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Is that one of them CM $13.00 air chilled birds? Looks like it would be mighty tasty

Joan it was the air chilled but $2.60 lb about a $1.00 more than reg and no water added.

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Nice, Mickey.  What's the rub?

Julio's and some extra Cumin . Cooked at 350 direct on Tom's Mini Woo.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    A modest bird. The legs were together. Nice, Mickey. Haven't done one on my mini. Probably took a bit longer because the legs were together, right? 350? I'll try it soon. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    @jlsm the time was about the same. The legs not tied together, just packaged in a slim package.

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Yep, must be a hen, she got her knees touching. What is the 'mini advantage' in this case? Burn less lump? Less time to get the bird on? I do these all the time on a large in like 45 minutes but I do have to get a lot of lump hot, dome's usually 350-400F (spread eagle!).
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    The advantage? Same with all mini cooks: Comes up to temp and stabilizes quickly, uses less charcoal, and it's just plain cool. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    Yep, must be a hen, she got her knees touching. What is the 'mini advantage' in this case? Burn less lump? Less time to get the bird on? I do these all the time on a large in like 45 minutes but I do have to get a lot of lump hot, dome's usually 350-400F (spread eagle!).

Yes to all of the above. Bird was Catholic.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Natural grocers in temple have nothing added , never frozen birds that are about 3lbs
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Natural grocers in temple have nothing added , never frozen birds that are about 3lbs
    d

Linda goes there. I don't after saying something about what compleat idiots the place was staffed with to the manager and the second in command idiot. Gary I am not using idiot like the good kind like you. Travis this came from Brookshire in Salado, not checked HEB.

• Village Idiot
    Mickey said:
     Gary I am not using idiot like the good kind like you. Travis this came from Brookshire in Salado, not checked HEB.
    Your obfuscation does not ameliorate the implied slur, and it shows a certain vacuity in your tone as you vaunt your recent cook. Muh fuh.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Gary I love you man. <:-P

• Village Idiot
    Mickey said:
    Gary I love you man. <:-P

:x

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey said:

Gary I am not using idiot like the good kind like you.
    Travis this came from Brookshire in Salado, not checked HEB.

Your obfuscation does not ameliorate the implied slur, and it shows a certain vacuity in your tone as you vaunt your recent cook. Muh fuh.

Lile I said before. VI, you crack me up!
    Flint, Michigan