Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fixing thermometer

This winter I noticed that my thermometer starts at about "-25".  I'm not a real handy guy, is there an easy way to fix or re-calibrate it?

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Take it out of the grill look on the back of the thermo, there is a hex nut that you can put a wrench on then turn the face of the thermo to recalibrate it.  Just boil some water in a pan and set the thermo to read approx 212 degrees while in the water, but careful not to touch the sides or bottom of the pan.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013
    What FxLynch said to calibrate.  From what I've read/hear/understand over the year, these thermometers just aren't accurate in the first 100 degrees or so.  As long as it's reading properly at 212, your good to go.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2013
    Choke is right. It is near 30 degrees outside right now and I am almost showing 100F
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Calibrate mine before every low and slow cook.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Just did the calibratuion test on mine - perfect. Also checked my thermopen and a couple of analog probes....all good so far. As everyone said, calibration test is easy-peasy but worth the time.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Remember, water boils at lower temp as your altitude increases.

correct. check online for exact temp.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited March 2013
    Having faith in your indications is key to success (like wondering why you got pulled over for speeding on the interstate when your speedometer read 60 mph). Much more critical for great results  (in my book) when going hot and fast since the end game changes quite quickly.  However, a big delta T on low and slows can also have a major impact.  Doesn't matter how you get there but you should be good with the temperture you are running with on the cook.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Recheck once in a while. After a year, both of mine were about 10 degrees low. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia