Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket help

SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
Hello all. I was hoping to get some tips in making a brisket on the egg. Last time I made a brisket I has the done temp at 250 to 275 for about almost 16hours. The brisket never got to the point where it passed the fork test. It came out tough and dry. I blame it on the meat since the cryo packaging had a lot of the juices in there. It's hard to find a good cut of brisket and fresh ere in San Diego besides going to costco. I was traumatized of the results but I think I want to do it again.

So. Do you recommended adding liquids to the drip pan when cooking brisket in the egg. I was planning to cook at dome temp of 225-260 range, until it passes the fork test. Planning to foil at IT 165 until about 190 or so or until the meat is tender. Is this wrong to do. I have little experience with brisket I have only done it twice. Once on the egg with bad results and once on a side firebox smoker with better results. Please HELP
·

Comments

• SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
    Any substitutions for allegro? What is allegro comparable to? I don't think we have that here in Southern California.

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Travis told me to use any marinade but I just used another beer, and then drank another beer!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    Haha. That's awesome.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,866
    Any substitutions for allegro? What is allegro comparable to? I don't think we have that here in Southern California.
    It's basically soy sauce with some lime and other stuff.  You can substitute soy sauce, fish sauce or even MSG.

·
    Thank you guys.
    ·
  • Well im no pro, but I did one this past weekend,  and it turned out pretty good,  ok no one died.  But I cooked it about 17 hrs. Then at 180 deg. I foiled it with apple juice,  then got up to IT 192 then rest for, 3 hrs. This worked for me, and I live on the west coast,  it might be different else where. 
    ·
  • Hey, @Socalcajudo,

Not sure where you are in SD, but TipTop meats in Carlsbad has some nice packer briskets as well as lots of other great meat. Might be well worth a drive the next time you want to give brisket a go. I bought a 13.5#er about two hours ago and am just getting set to trim and rub so it can go on tonight.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • I am definitely not a pro at brisket either. But I have not had one that was fork tender under 202F. The first one that I did was done at 202, the last was 205. I think it depends more on each cut of meat!
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,940

You can go with the Travis method-aka a braise or about any method described above-the key is not to "declare victory" too soon.  The thickest part of the flat when probed "and it goes in and out like butter" is the best finish-line indicator.  What follows are a few links that will give you a whole lot of information-FWIW-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville
    ·

Hey, @Socalcajudo,

Not sure where you are in SD, but TipTop meats in Carlsbad has some nice packer briskets as well as lots of other great meat. Might be well worth a drive the next time you want to give brisket a go. I bought a 13.5#er about two hours ago and am just getting set to trim and rub so it can go on tonight.

Cheers -
    B_B

I am actually down y Chula Vista. I've found a place. The costco business center has good cut of meats. Mostly choice. Just hadn't had the time to cook up brisket lately. But thanks for the heads up though.
    ·