Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help!! with lump

Options
the wife came home with new bag of lump. she tried but brought home 100% natural hard wood briquets. nature's grilling brand from walmart, my question is , can i use it in the egg??? it says no fillers no chemicals, but want to be sure i have 2 rib eyes ready to go and i dont have time to get a bag of lump from my dealer.image

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Hmm. I would be leery of the briquettes. Some kind of chemical has to hold all of those little particles together.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
     @rholt thats what i was thinking too! i dont think im gonna chance it! the steaks will wait till tomorow! at least  i learned to post pictures! thanks for the input! =D>
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The fillers are stuff like cornstarch. The only issue is there will be more ash than lump due to that. The only briquettes that I would never use is anything with starter fluid. That can cause bad flavors in the food.

The only time I wouldn't use it is on low and slows since the ash could clog the fire grate.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would prolly pass or go back to Walmart and trade for some Royal Oak lump.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    No problem using it in the Egg other than the amount of ash it produces.  It's a natural briquette meaning it only has a starch binder.  Not bad for shorter cooks, but not for long over nighters.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I believe there is a lesson here regarding SWMBO's and BGE's... :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Hmm. Never thought of starch in briquettes. If the whiz says its good to go then I would have to trust him.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Tons of ash from them and it won't go completely nuclear but should get ya by in a pinch.
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    Another problem is that they are aren't good for re-lighting. If you stir previously lit briquettes, they  crumble.

If you get done with a cook and need to do some egg/plate setter cleaning, now's the time.