Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

help!! with lump

the wife came home with new bag of lump. she tried but brought home 100% natural hard wood briquets. nature's grilling brand from walmart, my question is , can i use it in the egg??? it says no fillers no chemicals, but want to be sure i have 2 rib eyes ready to go and i dont have time to get a bag of lump from my dealer.image
337.JPG 3.4M

• rholtrholt Posts: 375
    Hmm. I would be leery of the briquettes. Some kind of chemical has to hold all of those little particles together.
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 459
     @rholt thats what i was thinking too! i dont think im gonna chance it! the steaks will wait till tomorow! at least  i learned to post pictures! thanks for the input! =D>
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,867
    The fillers are stuff like cornstarch. The only issue is there will be more ash than lump due to that. The only briquettes that I would never use is anything with starter fluid. That can cause bad flavors in the food.

The only time I wouldn't use it is on low and slows since the ash could clog the fire grate.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 5,426
    I would prolly pass or go back to Walmart and trade for some Royal Oak lump.

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    No problem using it in the Egg other than the amount of ash it produces.  It's a natural briquette meaning it only has a starch binder.  Not bad for shorter cooks, but not for long over nighters.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,625
    edited March 2013
    I believe there is a lesson here regarding SWMBO's and BGE's... :)
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • rholtrholt Posts: 375
    Hmm. Never thought of starch in briquettes. If the whiz says its good to go then I would have to trust him.
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,347
    edited March 2013
    Tons of ash from them and it won't go completely nuclear but should get ya by in a pinch.
  • scottc454scottc454 Posts: 78
    Another problem is that they are aren't good for re-lighting. If you stir previously lit briquettes, they  crumble.

If you get done with a cook and need to do some egg/plate setter cleaning, now's the time.