Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skin off or on for pork shoulder

I am about to smoke a pork shoulder and need to know if I need to take the skin off or on.  What should I use as a rub or injection as well.

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Skin on it!?! Don't usually get those here. Crackling is wonderful and I bet it is fantastic with a low slow smoke on the egg. Downside is no rub and bark on the meat under the skin. Interested to see what others think.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I get mine completely trimmed of skin and fat (as much as possible with a butt) You can throw the skin on separately

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    edited March 2013

From what I know there are few cuts of pork shoulder - the top part (Boston butt and most common in BBQ). Then there is a cut which includes the front leg quarter of the hog or the shank.  Sounds like you got the one with the shank.  Usually this one has a bit of the skin on and is called a picnic...  can you send a pic?

Ohh and I have heard they are cooked the same just trim some of the fat (not all of it will "melt" into the meat and its easier for me to remove it before I cook it than after its been cook (but careful to not cut off too much) - there is great debate on which taste better (most say the picnic is better) but the butt is cheaper... 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I know what you have. It's common in Philly. The tough skin covers a good 2/3rds, right? Trim it off, along with as much fat as you can get. If you want cracklins, you can do them on the egg, but you might not have room. You can do them in the oven: Put them on a rack above a pan and cook at 350 until crisp.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Right, that is the picnic ham.  I always trim off the skin.  Makes for some good pulled pork.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You can score the skin to get rub in and still get cracklins if you'd like.
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    It is a picnic and thanks for the advice I took the skin off and just did a rub with maple syrup injection.  What temp should I pull it at?

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Let it go to 195 - 205F. Most of the picnics I've done gook faster than butts. My guess is the big hunk of bone is a good heat conductor.
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    Got it thanks!  We are at 134 two hours into this on the picnic.