Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Poppers!

My first Jalepeno poppers.  About two hours at between 225 and 275, a finish at 300 because it was getting late, gotta plan ahead!

Stuffed with cheddar, wrapped with bacon dipped in sorgum molasses.  Tasty, but HOT!!!

Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,984
    I bet the molasses gave it a different twist. Looks good tho.

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I bet the molasses gave it a different twist. Looks good tho.
    I have no reference for comparison regarding the molasses, I just saw that in a recipe.  I understand that the longer you cook them, the milder they get.  I will try a three hour cook next time,  I need to keep a perspective of time with respect to stomach growls.  Maybe I will try these poppers simultaneously with a 4 hour beef or ribs cook....yes!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • WiltOnTiltWiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Hey Dave, did you go direct, raised direct, or indirect? When I did mine indirect I thought they were a bit soggy. Did you have that issue?
  • AltonAlton Posts: 443
    They look Great ! :D
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 860
    Goodness. Two hours! I don't have time for that. I cook at 350 indirect for 40 minutes to an hour, pulling when bacon is crisp but not hard. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Dave_MatthewsDave_Matthews Posts: 200
    edited March 2013
    Hey Dave, did you go direct, raised direct, or indirect? When I did mine indirect I thought they were a bit soggy. Did you have that issue?
    I used the place setter legs up, then a Woo3 with drip pan, then the standard grill and a popper holder.  The peppers were still crunchy, but to danged spicy hot, which is an unusual situation for me.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,667
    I know of no way to tell if a pepper is hot. some are and some aren't. try pablanos stuffed with cheeses, chorizo, and black beans... wrapped in bacon with a little rub.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thanks henapple, I normally can take the heat no matter what, maybe the leftovers will be milder.  My wife makes a three cheese stuffed pepper dish using milder/sweet peppers.  I will try that next, some with a bacon wrap, others without for my vegetarian friends.  And that mushroom cloud dish in a current thread sounds great as well!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,482
    I've heard you can soak the peppers in sprite and it will kill the heat. I've never tried myself so can't verify.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack said:
    I've heard you can soak the peppers in sprite and it will kill the heat. I've never tried myself so can't verify.
    Worth a try, thanks!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR