Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poppers!

Options
My first Jalepeno poppers.  About two hours at between 225 and 275, a finish at 300 because it was getting late, gotta plan ahead!

Stuffed with cheddar, wrapped with bacon dipped in sorgum molasses.  Tasty, but HOT!!!

Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I bet the molasses gave it a different twist. Looks good tho.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    I bet the molasses gave it a different twist. Looks good tho.
    I have no reference for comparison regarding the molasses, I just saw that in a recipe.  I understand that the longer you cook them, the milder they get.  I will try a three hour cook next time,  I need to keep a perspective of time with respect to stomach growls.  Maybe I will try these poppers simultaneously with a 4 hour beef or ribs cook....yes!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    Hey Dave, did you go direct, raised direct, or indirect? When I did mine indirect I thought they were a bit soggy. Did you have that issue?
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    They look Great ! :D
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Goodness. Two hours! I don't have time for that. I cook at 350 indirect for 40 minutes to an hour, pulling when bacon is crisp but not hard. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Dave_Matthews
    Dave_Matthews Posts: 204
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Hey Dave, did you go direct, raised direct, or indirect? When I did mine indirect I thought they were a bit soggy. Did you have that issue?
    I used the place setter legs up, then a Woo3 with drip pan, then the standard grill and a popper holder.  The peppers were still crunchy, but to danged spicy hot, which is an unusual situation for me.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I know of no way to tell if a pepper is hot. some are and some aren't. try pablanos stuffed with cheeses, chorizo, and black beans... wrapped in bacon with a little rub.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Thanks henapple, I normally can take the heat no matter what, maybe the leftovers will be milder.  My wife makes a three cheese stuffed pepper dish using milder/sweet peppers.  I will try that next, some with a bacon wrap, others without for my vegetarian friends.  And that mushroom cloud dish in a current thread sounds great as well!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've heard you can soak the peppers in sprite and it will kill the heat. I've never tried myself so can't verify.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I've heard you can soak the peppers in sprite and it will kill the heat. I've never tried myself so can't verify.
    Worth a try, thanks!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR