Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Good warming temperature

So my butt is done... 12hours ahead of schedule. Can I wrap it in tin foil and let it sit in the egg at 170? Or would that continue to cook the meat. I don't want to ftc it.. Then pull it and put it in the fridge for a few hours till meal time.. So I thought with a low enough warming temp.. I could just leave the butt on wrapped in foil.. But I'm afraid of overcooking it and drying it out
·

Comments

• flemsterflemster Posts: 258
    I have foiled and put in the cooler whole surrounded by towels for 6+ hours without it getting overdone. I pulled it off the egg at 190 internal. I personally would try, and if you thought it was dry you could always reward in a bit of juice or sauce. If you leave it in the egg it does run the risk of continuing to cook.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
    ·
  • Yeah. I guess I'll just pull it in an hour. Ftc it... And eventually put it in the fridge. If I pull it at 2am...theres no way it can ftc until noon. So I'll have to look up reheating ideas
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    you can do you oven at like 170 and wrap it, i do it all the time instead of ftc.  makes the house smell like awesome bbq, you're above the danger zone but not at "cooking" temp.  ive never gone 12 hours but i have done 8
    ·
  • Couldn't u do the egg at 170?
    ·
  • take it off, pull it and put it in zip locks or food saver bags f you have them. You can reheat in simmering water when you are ready to eat. you can't hold it for 12 hours without drying it out. It will be great and you can get some sleep as well

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,653
    edited March 2013
    Wish you the best. I had this issue of a early finish once. It= lots of sauce. You will know once you pull, your guests won't know the difference it will be fine.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Any advice on how to reheat the pulled pork? It just came off the egg.. So around 5 hours I'm going to put it in the fridge.. Then I'll need to reheat it
    ·
    edited March 2013
    I reheated my leftovers from yesterday, I say pot in the oven with moisture added maybe 2 hrs before low heat. I did stove top but you have 12lbs.
    Others can chime , but I couldn't tell you tonights eats were any less quality than yesterdays fresh.

Make a hell of a slaw, and get good sauce. Bone sucking?
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 332
    I reheat mine in food saver bags in hot water.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

·
  • My food saver is packed away in storage. I was thinking of heating it up in the oven at 250 covered with tin foil.. With maybe a cup of apple juice in the pan
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    Looks fantastic. I've done just as you plan, but bumped the temp to 325. Left it in there for about 40 minutes. Moist and great. Don't worry. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • I've been thinking. Couldn't I just serve it cold? It taste pretty good right now
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    When serving time is beyond holding time, which i consider five hours in the cooler wrapped in foil, the butt goes in the refrigerator still wrapped in it's original foil "unopened".  Once fully refrigerated, i re-heat by heating the fully wrapped butt at 300 degrees until my house smells like pork -- then add thirty minutes.  Comes out perfect for me.  It is then opened, full of juices to mix into the pulled pork!!
    ·
  • I've had the same problem....left intack, wraped in foil into fridge, pulled it out and heated in over at 180 for about 2 hours didn't want to warm up...so bumped it up to 300 for about an hour and added some apple juice...when heated up, pulled and served...everyone thought it just came off the egg...good luck.

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

·
    Results?
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Delicious. 325 for about 35 minutes
    ·