Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheyenne Burger

Options
Here's a turkey burger we tried on Sunday that was a big hit in our house. The recipe came from Steven Raichlen's Planet Barbecue!

It's Bobby Flay's Cheyenne burger; a turkey burger with BBQ sauce, cheddar, bacon, pickle chips and homemade onion rings. Yum!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Looks great. I like how you balance out the carb overload with some turkey burger instead of beef!

Looks delicious, great cook.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks incredible!  Usually people associate turkey burgers with trying to be a little healther :).  I would say that adding the bacon, cheddar, and onion ring sort of defeats that purpose...but it sure looks delicious. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    So wait was Bobby Flay's Cheyenne Burger featured in Planet BBQ?  Just confused a little bit sorry.
    Large BGE

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Awesome job. Looks incredible. I love turkey burgers. Helps me balance my beef and pork fettish.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    =D> You nailed that one. the onion rings look really good. hell, the whole thing looks good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great!  =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    That looks incredible!  I haven't seen that recipe in Planet Barbecue.  Time to open it back up!  Thanks!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Awesome!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Looks good, will try this.
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    If I am not mistaken, Cheyenne, being the capital of a large cattle raising state (Wyoming) to use turkey to make a burger is illegal.  Now, that same burger with good WY raised beef would be OUTSTANDING.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yeah it was a tasty (turkey) burger for sure. EddieK76, I know it's confusing. The recipe was in Raichlen's Planet Barbecue! book. And the title of the recipe is "Bobby Flay's Cheyenne Burger." So it's somehow got a double helping of celebrity street cred I reckon!

As other pointed out, any health benefits of turkey over beef are lost in all the toppings. I think using beef would take it up a notch for sure. I just cooked it to the recipe. Anyway, it was fun and very tasty. Thanks for all the supportive comments!
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    toothpick said:
    Thanks everyone. Yeah it was a tasty (turkey) burger for sure. EddieK76, I know it's confusing. The recipe was in Raichlen's Planet Barbecue! book. And the title of the recipe is "Bobby Flay's Cheyenne Burger." So it's somehow got a double helping of celebrity street cred I reckon!

That's hilarious!  Thanks for the chuckle!
    Large BGE

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Ground turkey can be substituted for ground beef in certain recipes without much notice, but i have problems with burgers??  Chili,stuffed peppers,soups and gumbos, etc.. no problem??
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Ground turkey can be substituted for ground beef in certain recipes without much notice, but i have problems with burgers??  Chili,stuffed peppers,soups and gumbos, etc.. no problem??
    It's the fat content, I reckon. You can mix in some butter to the turkey. Maybe pork. I think that is why people add veggies into turkey burger...more moisture and flavor(since there is less fat).
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    Yeah I've always found turkey burgers to be dry at best and crumbly at worst. I bought turkey with the highest fat content available, which was 14% I think. I tried to make 'em thick, not over-cook them and flip 'em only once. Was it as juicy as a beef burger? No. But nobody complained either. In fact, I really enjoyed this recipe and would do it again with turkey. If anyone tries this with beef, I'd love to hear what you think. Cheers all!  (and sorry, I couldn't figure out how to make this photo shrink any.image
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I could eat one of those for breakfast!!  That looks good!!  I really need to try more turkey in my meals!!  The turkey Italian Sausage is great and cooks basically the same as a pork sausage.