Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cheyenne Burger

Here's a turkey burger we tried on Sunday that was a big hit in our house. The recipe came from Steven Raichlen's Planet Barbecue!

It's Bobby Flay's Cheyenne burger; a turkey burger with BBQ sauce, cheddar, bacon, pickle chips and homemade onion rings. Yum!
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,855

Looks great. I like how you balance out the carb overload with some turkey burger instead of beef!

Looks delicious, great cook.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,022
    Man that looks incredible!  Usually people associate turkey burgers with trying to be a little healther :).  I would say that adding the bacon, cheddar, and onion ring sort of defeats that purpose...but it sure looks delicious. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    So wait was Bobby Flay's Cheyenne Burger featured in Planet BBQ?  Just confused a little bit sorry.
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    Awesome job. Looks incredible. I love turkey burgers. Helps me balance my beef and pork fettish.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    =D> You nailed that one. the onion rings look really good. hell, the whole thing looks good.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Looks great!  =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,246
    That looks incredible!  I haven't seen that recipe in Planet Barbecue.  Time to open it back up!  Thanks!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,616
    Awesome!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Looks good, will try this.
    ·
  • If I am not mistaken, Cheyenne, being the capital of a large cattle raising state (Wyoming) to use turkey to make a burger is illegal.  Now, that same burger with good WY raised beef would be OUTSTANDING.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • toothpicktoothpick Posts: 154
    Thanks everyone. Yeah it was a tasty (turkey) burger for sure. EddieK76, I know it's confusing. The recipe was in Raichlen's Planet Barbecue! book. And the title of the recipe is "Bobby Flay's Cheyenne Burger." So it's somehow got a double helping of celebrity street cred I reckon!

As other pointed out, any health benefits of turkey over beef are lost in all the toppings. I think using beef would take it up a notch for sure. I just cooked it to the recipe. Anyway, it was fun and very tasty. Thanks for all the supportive comments!
    ·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    toothpick said:
    Thanks everyone. Yeah it was a tasty (turkey) burger for sure. EddieK76, I know it's confusing. The recipe was in Raichlen's Planet Barbecue! book. And the title of the recipe is "Bobby Flay's Cheyenne Burger." So it's somehow got a double helping of celebrity street cred I reckon!

That's hilarious!  Thanks for the chuckle!
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Ground turkey can be substituted for ground beef in certain recipes without much notice, but i have problems with burgers??  Chili,stuffed peppers,soups and gumbos, etc.. no problem??
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,986
    edited March 2013
    Ground turkey can be substituted for ground beef in certain recipes without much notice, but i have problems with burgers??  Chili,stuffed peppers,soups and gumbos, etc.. no problem??
    It's the fat content, I reckon. You can mix in some butter to the turkey. Maybe pork. I think that is why people add veggies into turkey burger...more moisture and flavor(since there is less fat).
    ·
  • toothpicktoothpick Posts: 154
    Yeah I've always found turkey burgers to be dry at best and crumbly at worst. I bought turkey with the highest fat content available, which was 14% I think. I tried to make 'em thick, not over-cook them and flip 'em only once. Was it as juicy as a beef burger? No. But nobody complained either. In fact, I really enjoyed this recipe and would do it again with turkey. If anyone tries this with beef, I'd love to hear what you think. Cheers all!  (and sorry, I couldn't figure out how to make this photo shrink any.image
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I could eat one of those for breakfast!!  That looks good!!  I really need to try more turkey in my meals!!  The turkey Italian Sausage is great and cooks basically the same as a pork sausage.
    ·