Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Air temperature to install a rutland gasket?

I've got the gasket and the tools, how warm should the outside temp be to install my new gasket?
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Not sure. I installed mine yesterday, it was a breeze. Didn't wait the 24 hour cure either and no issues. It gets a better fit the more use, really like the overall look and feel it gives the egg.
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'm also debating getting one for my small which I haven't even put a fire in yet.  Or is the BGE high temp gasket worth dealing with for a year or two?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Have you all read the safety info about this stuff on Naked Whiz?  Stuff scares me.  Rutland states it does not recommend the use of their gasket around food.  I know a lot of people here use the Rutland Gasket, and it does seem to look good and work well.  But at what health risks?

• Scottborasjr
    Yeah, the health risks to me equal about the risk of eating out the way I look at it so not really concerned. I'd much rather have a flake of something foreign end up in my meal then someone's pubic hair.
  • Yeah, the health risks to me equal about the risk of eating out the way I look at it so not really concerned. I'd much rather have a flake of something foreign end up in my meal then someone's pubic hair.
    Where have you been eating?  Heh, heh, heh.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    With the Woo your food sits higher than the gasket, even safer.
    Health risks? Jeez all our stuff comes from china throw that term out the window with me.
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    @Fred19Flintstone probably the same places you would eat, without the possibility of being shot. Which adds another problem to the consuming food activity.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited March 2013
    its not like you rub the food all up on the gasket anyhow.  if you do it on the base only its rarely above your food.  they only claim not safe because it hasn't been tested, not because it had and failed.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I am throwing on a replacement Nomex on Sunday. Once it fails, going with a Rutland.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013

I installed mine when it was 45 degrees out. Still holding up without issue. I know I had emailed the makers of Permatex to ask them what they recommended but can't remember what they said -- this was a few years ago. 
    As other have mentioned, Rutland has never said it's unsafe, just that it hasn't been tested around food.  And really, why would they?
    Packerland, Wisconsin