Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT How does your garden grow? (6 pictures)

Apologies to the eskimos on the forum.

My garden is coming along fine.  We didn't have a freeze this winter so I could have planted much earlier.  Here are a few pics.

Main Garden.  The large serrano is from last spring's garden.  I didn't pull it, and it's blooming and putting on more chiles.
Tomatoes and chiles are blooming.

Peaches are doing fine
Orange tree is still small, but it bears several oranges

Herb garden

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    Very nice. My wife uses a device she bought off the internet to grow spices and veggies. We are waiting to build our patio before we move it all outside. Been using dried, frozen or canned for now just not the same.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2013
    Man, I am jealous VI. It was in low 30's again this AM so I have not planted yet. Thinking I will have to wait until mid April to make sure there is not another freeze. I need a bigger area after seeing yours!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    ^:)^ Not like yours. Rent house so we grow in pots. Got a mater plant, some cilantro, thyme, basil, and some jap-a-leenos.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Very nice VI we just started getting out in the yard again will post some pics. Woke up this morning and it was covered in snow! Yep first day of spring yesterday my a...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    double said:
    Very nice VI we just started getting out in the yard again will post some pics. Woke up this morning and it was covered in snow! Yep first day of spring yesterday my a...

I hear you Double. Went from the 70's to high of 50 here once "Spring" started. Doesnt seem like Spring to me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    planting season is during the spring salmon runn
    :)) never seems to get done
    :D  i do have stuff that comes back year to year though and some potted stuff that comes indoors.  6 types of blueberries, golen delicous apples, two kinds of asian pares, nanking cherries, sweet cherries, chives, egyptian onion, rosemary, lemon grass, keifer lime,sweet bay, mediteranian mint, kentucky mint, cranberries, and asparagus. and i grow weeds very well
    :D every year i tell myself im going to put in a raised bed garden, wish i built it last fall
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    six_egg said:
    Very nice. My wife uses a device she bought off the internet to grow spices and veggies. We are waiting to build our patio before we move it all outside. Been using dried, frozen or canned for now just not the same.
    Hmmm.... device form the internet to grow "spices"....

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    On behalf of those of us still eating blubber, apologies accepted.

If I took a pic of my garden, there would be 2 labels. 1 would point at 4 shoots of garlic, the other would point at 6 pitiful stalks of over-wintered leeks. Otherwise, snow, mounds of mulch, a few stems of parsley that may or may not come back.

At least I have some window ledge cleared, and some potting mix for indoor starts ready to go.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Lol
    Hmmm.... device form the internet to grow "spices"....

When life gives you Marijuana make brownies   :))

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Envy, I have lots of envy. Very nice plot. 
    +1C with frost on the roof this morning....tulips are up and the perry winkle is blooming, but veggies are just a two month dream away. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You better be careful.  The simple act of me looking of pics of your garden might cause a couple of plants to die!  That looks awesome! 

Silly question- is the big silo thing a giant rain barrel? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387

I am jealous as well, I still have about 8 more weeks till I can plant. And although it is spring now, we had a major storm yesterday, caused 100 car pileup just outside city. Anyways, I am still counting the days till this damn snow is gone, and its nice enough to start planting. Looks great VI. Here are some pics of last year’s garden, and our very first. Turned out good for our first shot at one.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Beautiful garden, AlbertaE !!!!  I wish I had space like that.  On the farm, I had a 1/4 acre tractor garden.  That's too big.  You're is about right.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Thanks VI, We were going to make it bigger this year, but not any more, we had plenty enough, and ended giving a lot to friends and family, this size was very manageable. CANT WAIT!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I like your beer holder the best. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Mickey said:
    I like your beer holder the best.
    Do you know how long it took me to find a koozie for that with a Vespa logo on it?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Wow! ^:)^  I need one of those!

Any chance you can you tell me what to do with this avocado plant? I got it this far... now what?!
    Someone told me that it has water roots and will die if I just plant it? :-/
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Wow! ^:)^  I need one of those!

Any chance you can you tell me what to do with this avocado plant? I got it this far... now what?!

I planted 3 without issue. They only died for lack of sun in the winter. You'll do fine in Florida.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Wow! ^:)^  I need one of those!

Kristi,

You should be good to go and plant it.  I am told the only fear is that when you start them from seed, they may or may not form a tree that bears fruit like the tree it came from, or worse yet, it may not bear fruit at all.  I believe the trees you buy are all grafted.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice...is the silver silo a lump bin?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • It's currently 12:45p.m. and 26 deg F. I am so sick of this! Where's all the "global warming"? Bring it on!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot
    henapple said:
    Nice...is the silver silo a lump bin?
    No, it's a cistern.  We do rainwater harvesting.  The water from our roof goes into the cistern when it rains. When any water is needed in the house, a pump comes on and the water goes through 3 filters (a sediment filter, a carbon filter, and a U/V filter).  The water is purer than any bottled water you could buy.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Nice garden VI. I haven't planted this year yet. Normally do around 1/2 acre garden.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Gary,

I hate you!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot

Gary,

I hate you!

Ahhh, Steve.  Don't be like that.  You can have sno-cones whenever you want them.  I have to wait for the county fair to come and buy them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    shtgunal3 said:
     Normally do around 1/2 acre garden.
    WOW !  That's gigantic.  Are you feeding the whole town?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I really want to set up a hydroponic flood table in our spare bedroom for spices. I see 400 watt hoods and ballasts on Craigslist all the time for cheap. That's enough to cover a 4' * 4' table and only $20 a month or so in power.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @VI just a big family. We normally do a lot of pressure canning veggies. It's like eating fresh all year. This year I probably will not plant as much, we still have a lot left from last year.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    Lit said:
    I really want to set up a hydroponic flood table in our spare bedroom for spices. I see 400 watt hoods and ballasts on Craigslist all the time for cheap. That's enough to cover a 4' * 4' table and only $20 a month or so in power.
    i have a 400 watt in the kitchen, 2 times i had the men in blue looking thru my window at the rosemary. i dont need an outside light, the bulbs in the window and it lights up the backyard well
    :)) :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it