Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Chicken Fried Backstrap

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

I love grilled foods. I love smoked foods. I love bbq. But right up there (maybe even higher) is a good chicken fried backstrap. Right behind that is chicken fried steak. I didn't grow up hunting, but married into a family with a ranch and lots of deer running around. While my father-in-law no longer hunts, my brother-in-law does. This past Fall, he took me out and kept me company while I took down my first deer and then taught me how to field dress and process it. There's just a sense of accomplishement and pride of procuring your own meat. The hunters here will know what I'm talking about. For some reason, we haven't used any of the meat from that deer until last night.

Backstrap ready to be coated and fried

Mrs. G helping out in the kitchen.

If I could choose my last meal, this just might be it.

I've loved chicken fried backstrap since the first time I had it, but the knowledge that I shot this deer, that I was responsible for it being on our table, somehow made it taste even better. Imagine chicken fried steak, but more tender and with just a bit of a difference in taste. We didn't even need to use a knife to cut it, it was so tender. I'll say it again. I love bbq, but I love me some CFB just as much. Hope y'all don't mind I went OT on this one. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Now that is some gravy...... Nice steak also.

Griff you said "took down my first deer and then taught me how to field dress and process it. There's just a sense of accomplishement and pride of procuring your own meat".  Mine was a very large sense of nausea and some tears. Our company kept several leases for years and years, I never hunted again. I put people out and cooked. When I think about it  now all I can see is Nellys eyes looking back at me...

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

I am so hungry right now. Nice looking CFB. The nieghbors and I have cook outs almost every week end. We do all kinds of stuff. Deer is one of them. I will have to post pics of it.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Griffin

Hunting is not for everybody, Mickey. Nothing wrong with that. I was nervous at first, but then filled with adrenaline afterwards. Deer are cute, but they are just another source of food in my eyes.

@six-egg would love to see some pics of deer cooks.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/38685/Griffin">Griffin</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>
    <P>Hunting is not for everybody, Mickey. Nothing wrong with that. I was nervous at first, but then filled with adrenaline afterwards. Deer are cute, but they are just another source of food in my eyes.</P>
    <P>@six-egg would love to see some pics of deer cooks.</P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <P>Did you catch the fact that Nelly (my poodle) was not in sight when you got to Salado</P>
    <P> </P> :o3
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I don't hunt, but I kinda see what you're talking about. Especially when its slathered in gravy! Looks deelish.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin

I'm a bit confused @Mickey. You know I would never hurt Nelly or any other dog. I love dogs.

@caliking - everything is better slathered in gravy!

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Don't mind the OT at all Griffin.  That looks amazing!   My wife doesn't care for venison, but I bet she would go for that. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looks good Griffin. That's the kind of food I was raised on and still enjoy today. Fried up like that is the best way to do it but next time your egging, put a little Dales sauce or your favorite marinade and maybe a little rub on some backstrap and toss it on the egg. It is wonderful. Be careful with the marinade it can overpower the backstrap pretty quickly. The backstrap will cook pretty fast too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    That look's awesome Griff. My wife makes  the best CFB / CFS to. You can tell by the gravy that you know what your doing.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Mickey
    Griffin Just pulling your chain my friend. :o3

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks good, I love OT posts that show great meals, does not bother me one bit!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin

@SmokeyPitt -just tell her its chicken fried steak. ;)

@shtgunal3 - that sounds good.

@RAC - the wifey knows what she's doing with the gravy. I have no idea how to make gravy. I leave that to her. :))

@Mickey - no worries, give Nelly a scratch behind the ears for me.

@Solson005 - I didn't think many people would be bothered. Glad you aren't.

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

That CFS looks pretty solid, as I always tell my wife make sure my last meal Is Chicken Fried Venison. Your Gravy looks like you used the excess oil from the cooking and did it country style.

I have been telling my wife I want to make this and she keeps telling me summer is coming and something about weight and lake, I dont know I tuned her out.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    =)) Yeah, Stace used the oil from the gravy.

Rowlett, Texas

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Looks fantastic!  Back strap was the first taste of venison I ever had and it was wonderful with just salt & pepper sautéed in butter.  I cannot imagine how good your CFVBS was!

Thanks for sharing-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I haven't found good cfs in TN so the thing i look for when I'm in TX is just that. I've been deer hunting a few times but haven't got one. In TN they're a nuisance and the TWRA has really opened up hunting regs. I see deer as a cow or pig. I've never looked into a fish's eyes and seen anything other than hushpuppies. Nelly now is a different sorry as is Lucy, my spiked mini schnauzer.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2013
    henapple said:
    I haven't found good cfs in TN so the thing i look for when I'm in TX is just that. I've been deer hunting a few times but haven't got one. In TN they're a nuisance and the TWRA has really opened up hunting regs. I see deer as a cow or pig. I've never looked into a fish's eyes and seen anything other than hushpuppies. Nelly now is a different sorry as is Lucy, my spiked mini schnauzer.
    The controversy with horse meat is interesting too. For some, they are held on a higher plane than other livestock. Others, they are just that livestock. Who wants jello?
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Looks great Griffin. Try this if you have a fully intact backstrap. Coat it lightly with EVOO, then cover it with Uncle Chris' Steak seasoning and let it sit in the fridge overnight covered. Grill to medium. Outstanding.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited March 2013
    Mickey said:

Mine was a very large sense of nausea and some tears. Our company kept several leases for years and years, I never hunted again. I put people out and cooked. When I think about it  now all I can see is Nellys eyes looking back at me...

You might not have handled this real well Mickey. :D  You shoulda seen the T-Bones off of this thing!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    BOWHUNR said:

Mickey said:

Mine was a very large sense of nausea and some tears. Our company kept several leases for years and years, I never hunted again. I put people out and cooked. When I think about it  now all I can see is Nellys eyes looking back at me...

You might not have handled this real well Mickey. :D  You shoulda seen the T-Bones off of this thing!

Mike

You ain't putting that on a mini

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

Looks outstanding, @Griffin!  Definitely one of my favorites as well.  You should try it with grits sometime.  ;)

@Mickey, I love me some Beagle on the BGE.  ;)  That what she gets for climbing on the furniture.  :Dimage

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    @Dyal_SC  That is friggen hilarious!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    <P>@<A class=Username href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/46870/Dyal_SC"><STRONG><FONT color=#00573d size=3>Dyal_SC</FONT></STRONG></A>  You are a sic puppy</P> :o3

• Dyal_SC
    lol... My wife was somewhat disturbed when I did that awhile back. I promise my beagles are ok. :) If I recall, I think they each got a chicken wing. ;)
  • Dyal_SC
    @Griffin, have you ever used panko in addition to the flour? I've been using that a lot lately. Adds a nice extra crunch.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

It's pretty much guaranteed that putting the words "chicken fried" in front of anything makes it delicious.  To be honest, I'd never even heard the term backstrap before.  No clue what it was.  It could have been a leather belt for all I knew, but hell...a chicken fried leather belt probably tastes pretty good.   Turns out it's deer tenderloin. 

In my Google search for "backstrap", I saw that one of the most popular methods of preparing it is to cut them about 2" thick, wrapping them with thick bacon and grilling, much like filet mignon.  If you have any backstrap left, I'd love to see you do a writeup on that method as well. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Griffin
    Backstrap and tenderloin are different cuts. Backstrapis outside the rib cage, tenderloin is more towards the back on the inside toward the pelvis. Still have two tenderloins and one Backstrap left.

Rowlett, Texas

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    We call the ones on the inside the "inner loins ". I took a small piece of inner loin last night wrapped in bacon and threw on the egg. It was real good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    @griffin It's a southern thing- wouldn't trade my time in the woods for anything. Can't wait to start taking my 2 year old with me. Looks fantastic.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Another fantastic idea Griff! Thanks!
    Please share the gravy recipe, it looks fantastic and I'm sure my SWMBO would really enjoy it too.
    I agree and share your sentiment for hunting, but I'm more of a fly fisherman and the outdoors and challenge are what it is all about!