Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer linked to to start of western civilization

Options

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Only Canucks would spend years on that research

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggteeth
    eggteeth Posts: 52
    Options
    There was a documentary on The History channel called "How Beer saved The World".  It, laid out arguments (semi-convincing) that beer was responsible for:

Modern cities and farming, as the Egyptians needed it to collect wheat, etc. to make beer.

Math.  Egyptians paid pyramid workers in beer and needed a way to track it.  Thus, the birth of math and accounting.

Re-fridgeration.  Beer companies spent massive amounts on R&D to develop it instead of bringing in huge glaciers from canada by train.  

Louie Pastour was actually studying why beer went bad when he stumbled onto pastuerization.

Ending child labor.  Beer companies actually modernized the "ford assembly line" 10 years before Ford, virtually wiping out cruel but necessary use of children in their archaic glass blowing shops.

American revolution.  Compared pubs to the internet today asused to distribute information/ideas.  British agents were instructed to eavesdrop in pubs or to go sip, and thus the origin of the word gossip.  The melody of the Star Spangled banner is identical to that of a drinking song pubs would make people sing to prove they were sober enough for another.

There were also some things about beer being safer to drink than water, and I think some link to penacillin.  There were several more, but I can't remember all of them.

Fascinating stuff.
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    edited March 2013
    Options
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin.

Well, he didn't really say that but It still sounds cool.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Reminds me of an old joke.  

Why did God invent beer?  To prevent the Irish from taking over the Earth.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Only Canucks would spend years on that research
    It's a lot better than some of the research US tax dollars have gone towards these days...
    Dunedin, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Beer makes you smart, always knew that to be true. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    DOH....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Beer, "It's what's for breakfast", add chocolate chip cookies and you have the breakfast of champions :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    iT iS lInked tO mINe
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    Beer makes you smart, always knew that to be true. 
    Beer enables ugly people to have sex.

If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Beer. Helping white people dance
    Boom
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @skiddymarker if beer made you smart, I would be a freaking genius!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .