Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mickey's Turbo Butt

2»

Comments

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,394
    edited March 2013
    Trying first one today hope its done by 630 on at 3pm. 4 lbs riding out @ 350 till the end no foil.

Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    "NO FOIL" = NO TURBO COOK
    ·
    edited March 2013
    Ragtop99 said:

Larrymac said:

thanks a lot for the clarification.
    Anyone try the last part of the turbo w/o foil? Does that effect the bark at all?
    Sorry I'm sure that is an old question for some of the eggsperts

I haven't tried it at 350*, but I've cooked at 290* without foil for the whole cook and they come out good.  Cuts several hours off doing them at 250*.

??

1.5 hrs in I'd like some bark. I can foil if needed but thought other threads said try without.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
    The foiled part of the turbo cook is what quickly increases the internal temperature of the butt and sails it right thru the "stall"...
    ·
    Got it will foil, I'll check for 160 @ hr 2.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    "NO FOIL" = NO TURBO COOK

This was indirect @ 325, injected, but NO foil. 6 lbs. took a little over 6 hours to 195. Moist and flavorful.
    Butt.jpg 172.4K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
    Billyray -- just my opinion but you see that liquid in that drip pan??  That would be in the foil, and end up in my pulled pork..  Just sayin !
    ·
    @Charlie tuna I've done them both ways, not sayin' one is better than the other, just different way to turbo. The liquid in the pan was strained and mixed with the pork, goooood. It would have been easier if I had wrapped.
    ·
    Consider the evaporation too....???
    ·
  • Consider the evaporation too....???

Would the bark not keep the juice in? I really dont see the point of foiling unless your going to turbo cook it.

·

Would the bark not keep the juice in? I really dont see the point of foiling unless your going to turbo cook it.

Mickey's Turbo Butt
    Isn't this the name of the subject ?????

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468

Mickey's Turbo Butt

Uhhh..... Zing?
    ·
  •  

Mickey's Turbo Butt

Well looks to me like the guy you quoted BillyRay said he didn't foil his. Which would mean it was not a turbo cook. You then stated about evaporation. If its not a turbo cook then wouldn't the bark hold the moisture in?

Well considering the guy you quoted said he didn"
    ·
    To me turbo just means cooking at a higher temp. than the low and slow of 225-250. 325-350 is the turbo temp. and gets you to the end in about an 1 per lb, instead of 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound. Foiling at 160 or so will get you to the end of 195-200 faster than leaving it unwrapped, but both higher temp. cooks would be considered turbo.
    ·
    Posting this since its the best bark I've had on a fast cook. 6 lb butt dome read 300 finished in 5.5 hours. Not sure how no foil until it hit 190 just to keep it FTC for 2 hours. Result great.
    Having it on Costco pretzel rolls tonight with slaw. And bone sucking sauce.

Peace.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Do you also wash your butt when you unpackage?
    I wipe the stuff off with paper towels, but full blown washing it off is unnecessary imo
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Man...all this is getting me fired up for my first shot at this! Was going to try Mickey's famous tubo butt method this Saturday but family tells me they want me to do the blackberry glazed pork tenderloin instead. Looks like I'll have to save the butt for later (usually a good plan!)
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,499
    edited March 2013
    OK. Let's get our made up terminology straight here. ... High heat, foiled = Turbo Butt... High heat, no foil = Nitro Butt... Or call it what you want. Thanks just how I say it.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,035
    ddegger said:
    Man...all this is getting me fired up for my first shot at this! Was going to try Mickey's famous tubo butt method this Saturday but family tells me they want me to do the blackberry glazed pork tenderloin instead. Looks like I'll have to save the butt for later (usually a good plan!)

I my old age I have found a truth: Always save your butt (always a good plan!).
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,163
    500 said:
    OK. Let's get our made up terminology straight here. ... High heat, foiled = Turbo Butt... High heat, no foil = Nitro Butt... Or call it what you want. Thanks just how I say it.
    This

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    edited March 2013
    Wait!  There is another terminology for butt cooking!  There is a method of cooking meats at high(400 degrees) in a covered cast iron pot and it is very fast!!  I tried it once, and the butt was cooked, but was missing the smoke taste.  What is that one called?? 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468
    Wait!  There is another terminology for butt cooking!  There is a method of cooking meats at high(400 degrees) in a covered cast iron pot and it is very fast!!  I tried it once, and the butt was cooked, but was missing the smoke taste.  What is that one called?? 
    Turbo pot roast?

:D
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    There's another...i believe it's cochons de lait...or as we call it in TN, kershin delay. BB roast cooked in ci/do in a milk/cream...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·