Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hugenormous Pork Butt assistance

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,740

Yada yada yada. I know that there is no real estimate for a pork butt...everything effects it. But im still needing a ballpark.  I have a 12lb pork butt without the bone. Im going to be eating it in a large picnic with friends and family on Saturday at Noon.  I need to probably pull it around 10 am and Wrap it and cooler it...dont remember the acronym lol.

So when should i put it on.  Ive cooked 7-8lbers that took like 20 hours..so how long would a 12 lb take.

245 indirect on large BGE is my normal set up...and im not interested in Turbo. Should i guestimate 2 hours per pound? er...does it not make a big difference since its without bone..?

Thanks

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,202
    you sure it's not two 6 pounders?

Regardless, 1.5-2 hours per pound around that dome temp.

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,651
    Yep cryo bagged usually contain 2. Picked up 12 lb at Costco but its 2 6's just right for the mini.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,109
    my guess is two 6 pounders and if not you have the option to make it two 6 pounders
    :D
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,651
    You can guess 2 hrs a lb and when its done early FTC is your friend.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,411
    Start early as you can FTC (the acronym) for a good 4-5 hours before pulling.  If running around 250*F on the calibrated dome the above 2 hrs/#  is a good place to start.  You can always dial it up on the BGE to punch it home if time becomes an issue.  And I'm with the above betting you have two 6 # er's.  And if you have 2 6'ers then they will cook like each is a stand-alone cook-although monitor each as they can finish hours apart.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Nope it's solid. I bought it from fresh market. There were two twelve pounders per cryo pack.
    ·
  • Hogzilla?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845
    Could always do 250~ until internal 160-165. Then bump to 350.
    I did last weekend and came out pretty good. Help with your time. Or bump if needed.
    Boom
    ·
  • I tried using bananas as a comparison... Didn't work so well
    ·
    that is a monster.  Sans bone too.

I'd put it on 24 hours before you plan on eating.  Check it in the morning and make any adjustments to temp to have it done before you're ready to eat.

·
  • This might sound bad, but that's a nice piece of meat you got there.  I would cut into 2 personally, I did that this morning, with two Butts I got. 
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    This might sound bad, but that's a nice piece of meat you got there.  I would cut into 2 personally, I did that this morning, with two Butts I got. 
    thats not a bad idea 2 6 pounders and you get more bark.  win win in my book
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Other possibility is that you have a whole shoulder but 12 pounds is a little light. If that is what it is your time will be less than the regular cause your length exceeds your diameter or cross section

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Looks like a butt, man a BIG BUTT, do you have the time to do 24 hours? If not i'd think about cutting in to two 6 lbers
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • chainsaw19chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    I like big butts and I can not lie.....
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I'd start early and cook it whole.  You have until 10 AM so plenty of time in the morning to FTC without getting up in the middle of the night, or if it's not done by early AM. wrap in foil and crank it up to finish.  It will be impressive to pull that huge hunk of meat out of the cooler and pull it.
  • Welcome back BTW. Was laughing about your BGE TV Show just a couple of days ago. Still funny to me.

·
  • So now here's the trick. Should I put it on before I go to work.. Like around 730am on Friday.. Or come home at lunch around 1pm and put it on? It's for Saturday at noon.
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845
    So now here's the trick. Should I put it on before I go to work.. Like around 730am on Friday.. Or come home at lunch around 1pm and put it on? It's for Saturday at noon.

if do before work means need to get up early Sat, unless have a remote thermo. Advantage is get to do lower temp
    Boom
    ·
  • Yeah I have a cyber q wifi... But I don't want to keep waking up to check the meat temp. I wanna sleep through the night:-)
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416

I tried using bananas as a comparison... Didn't work so well

That's what she said....
    =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2013
    I think I'll put it on around noon. I put it on at 250 grate temp which is like 30 degrees less then dome temp. Let it go an hope it gets to temp by 10-11 the next morning. If its not quite there do I wrap it in foil and take it up to 300? 350?
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    300 is fine and 350 will be even quicker.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,651
    Other possibility is that you have a whole shoulder but 12 pounds is a little light. If that is what it is your time will be less than the regular cause your length exceeds your diameter or cross section
    @LS it could still be a whole NY shoulder, don't forget it's boneless.
    canuckland
    ·
    He posted a pic.  Looks like a huge enormous gargantuan mega butt.  Actually, not that unusual.  I made a woodchipper load of sausage (trying to sound Canadian here ay?, sure I'm failing) and I used some 11-12 pound butts...with bone, so maybe a pound off.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416
    Looks like a huge enormous gargantuan mega butt

We call that "The Kardashian".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    =))

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,741
    edited March 2013
    don't twist your back when lifting that thing. Use your legs B-) Welcome back, haven't heard from you for a while.
    ·
  • You guys are silly
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,113
    If it won't fit in the egg you can always use KY instead of mustard.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·