Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$1.99/lbs... I got a guy...

Greetings friends,

This time with homemade rub. Very exciting...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What's the plan?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Like Mr Apple says, what's the plan and what was in that fantastic looking rub? How did it taste?
    Using quality ingredients in home made rubs can be very good. It is easier to control the salt content, we find many commercial rubs have too much salt. 
    I have a plain Jane BBQ rub that a friend thought was so good he asked for the recipe. He made it and was very dissappointed. Seems he used dollar store spices that were of questionable quality and age. Use quality ingredients. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    It's resting before the cook tonight.

I'll put it on tonight at 250* with Mesquite and a seasoned water bath.  Expecting 12 hours.

Rub:

1/2 cup hot paprika
    1/4 cup salt (pink Himalayan) 
    1/4 cup pepper (fresh ground white, green, black, red)
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 Tbs- garlic powder, granulated onion, hot chili powder
    2 tsp- cayenne

Spicy, fragrant, and enough for about two briskets.

Spices all came from a specialty spice store here in town.  Supposedly, they are all fresh to within a week.  Figured I'd see what the hubbub was about with this place... My ingredients, minus salt/pepper/sugar which I had at the house, were around $13, making the rub comparatively the most expensive part of the cook.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Looks good, and good ain't cheap, but it is good if done right. Final pics?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MaskedMarvel

Just getting ready to pull it off now - loooong stall and sitting at 196* now without passing the fork test...

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    That was really different but I guess all briskets are. Stalled at 180 for four hours then again at 196 without passing the fork test for another six. Goes to show you have to really watch your temps and your doneness.

Flat is FTCed an the point is back on with more rub for a bit of burnt end greatness.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• XLegger
    XLegger Posts: 1
    Just ate some ribs and was looking at your post. I have to admit that I'm drooling a little.
  • That was really different but I guess all briskets are. Stalled at 180 for four hours then again at 196 without passing the fork test for another six. Goes to show you have to really watch your temps and your doneness. Flat is FTCed an the point is back on with more rub for a bit of burnt end greatness. image
    amen. they are all their own little finicky thing aren't they. Looks awesome. i've had some weird stalls but this one is up there with the best of them. Can drive people nuts if they don't understand it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MaskedMarvel

That was really different but I guess all briskets are. Stalled at 180 for four hours then again at 196 without passing the fork test for another six. Goes to show you have to really watch your temps and your doneness.

Flat is FTCed an the point is back on with more rub for a bit of burnt end greatness.

amen. they are all their own little finicky thing aren't they. Looks awesome. i've had some weird stalls but this one is up there with the best of them. Can drive people nuts if they don't understand it. 

This brisket came froma local farm and would probably be classified as prime. First time I've done a prime brisket. At this price I'll be doing one a week.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Just one more pic. Decided to throw the point and an old frozen point back on the BGE to see how far I could take the burnt ends. Reseasoned with rub and left whole.

Left overnight for twelve hours or so.

These chunks are transformed into concentrated brisket bombs. Amazing.

As a side note - my BGE has now been chugging along for 36 hours and not showing signs of quitting. I love it.

The one on the left is the one from the bottom grate. Hotter down there by 20 degrees.

Thanks for reading! See you in the next one.

Large BGE and Medium BGE