Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie first post... Lobster tails

Picked up a large egg this last weekend, been wanting one for a couple years now, just never could pull the trigger, the bad news is I bought it at Sam's, got a good deal but found out no warranty, but I will just have to cross that bridge when I come to it, by then the wife will be so hooked on it she wont balk at replacing it! First cook was a Garfunkle chicken, next was steaks, tonight was lobster tails. Tomorrow night a brisket is going on, so far I am 3 for 3 on cooks, hopefully the brisket will follow suit. image
McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Welcome to our little world. What part are you from? Real nice cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Welcome aboard!  Lobster looks great!  I didn't know Sams carried BGE's. 
  • okienine
    okienine Posts: 43
    Apparently Sam's is not suppose to carry BGE's, I just found that out a little to late, unfortunately I live about 90 miles from the club, so the cost of another trip to return it plus the increased cost at an "authorized dealer" means I am just going to roll the dice and hope I have no need for the warranty. Mickey I am in McAlester, Ok.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Hope to see you next March at the Salado EggFest. Once more WELCOME
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very nice first cook!  That is kind of B.S. that Sam's gets the eggs and the warranty can't be honored.  If I were you I would just save your receipt and if an issue ever comes up hopefully BGE will help you out.  

Enjoy it...chances are you won't have any issues. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• welcome. Give me a shout when you are ready to do a brisket. Glad to help if I can. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Wow...what a first cook!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Welcome Aboard Okie --  Don't understand why you don't have a full warrenty as long as it is new??  But, don't sweat the small "stuff", keep cooking, Overall you made a good investment and a life changing move.  
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Nice first cooks. Good luck with the brisket.
    welcome. Give me a shout when you are ready to do a brisket. Glad to help if I can. 
    Brisket is tomorrow night, been reading as much as I can, so we will see how it goes, so far there are no similarities to the pipe smoker I have used for years, if it don't turn out it won't be the first brisket casualty on my record...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    welcome. Give me a shout when you are ready to do a brisket. Glad to help if I can. 

I'd take his advice. He knows what he is doing.
    Brisket is tomorrow night, been reading as much as I can, so we will see how it goes, so far there are no similarities to the pipe smoker I have used for years, if it don't turn out it won't be the first brisket casualty on my record...
    cool. What's your setup for indirect? Do you have a platesetter?

• and I've wrecked more than my share as well! I have it down on the egg pretty good though.

• okienine
    yea, platesetter for now, will get an AR and spider in the future, right now the plan is to do indirect with a 250 dome temp, will put it on about 10 and let it go through the night and then monitor for the 185 to 205 IT and tenderness. Have not settled on a rub yet.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited March 2013
    @okienine - Welcome!  I own three Eggs and two of them I bought second hand.  Those two have no warranty either.  But it doesn't stop me from the pleasure of cooking on them!  Enjoy yourself.  There's no sense fretting about something you can't control.  Nice lookin' bug tails ya got there!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @okienine sounds like you have a solid plan for the brisket.  Good luck, but seriously if something goes awry talk to Cen-Tex or research his posts. A wealth of information there. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • okienine
    Not to concerned about the warranty, but I do believe either Sams should make it known that BGE will not honor it, or BGE should do more to get there product out of there, but not a huge deal to me.
  • okienine said:
    yea, platesetter for now, will get an AR and spider in the future, right now the plan is to do indirect with a 250 dome temp, will put it on about 10 and let it go through the night and then monitor for the 185 to 205 IT and tenderness. Have not settled on a rub yet.
    use Bad Byron's Butt Rub if you can. Coat it until you can't see the grain but don't go nuts (it's too salty if you overdo it).

Use Oak chunks if you can (seriously, don't ever do brisket without Oak again. makes a huge difference)

Here's the ticket- when it's done (your temps are perfect). FTC (wrap in Foil+Towels+place in Cooler) for 2-4 hours. Then remove and unwrap and let cool until it's easy to handle with bare hands before slicing. This last step is the secret. Trust me on this one. leave at least 3-4 hours after the cook to FTC and let cool once out of the cooler. 

The Bad Byrons gives the outside an awesome "sugar cookie" (technical term for sweet/sticky but still black and crusty bark) finish.  The cooler rest and allowing it to cool before slicing gives it the "Franklin Wiggle" that is famous down here in Central TX. 

If you can't find Bad Byrons, you want a rub with salt and sugar in the top few ingredients. If you have questions, let me know what you have available and I'll tell you what to use. 

The Oak is non-negotiable with me but if you cant find it, let me know what you have and I'll do the best I can to steer you right.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    let us know how the brisket goes bud, happy eggin and listen to cen-tex, he is speaking again.... oh and also knows what he's saying

XLBGE 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Sweet.  Welcome aboard.  I think Hornhonk bought his egg at Sam's and now he runs the Plano Outlaw Eggfest.  Next to Salado on of the funnest fest to go to.  
    BTW if you pay attention to C-Tex your brisket will taste great.  I understand he will rent out his son to tend the fire.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • okienine
    thanks Cen-Tex, I picked up some mesquite chunks today, really like mesquite for steaks, but I will grab some oak tomorrow, how many chunks go in, 3 or 4? I will take a look and see what I can come up with on the rub, if I can not find something I may just mix some up myself. Will definitely try the FTC.
  • for your setup, do you have a V-rack or a roast rack that you can use?. I use an adjustable rig now but this setup is good too. I use a roast rack (BGE V-Rack) set in a 9.5x13.5 aluminum pan from the grocery store. Set this on your grid (which sits on top of your platesetter).

Don't put anything in the pan or ever spritz, spray or wrap your brisket when cooking. 

When you do wrap for the rest, don't put anything in the foil (some people put apple juice or something in there-no!)

• dangit- that pic is on the platesetter not grid (it was huge and I had to get it lower to fit. I'll post another pic in a second of the grid)
  • okienine
    Have not picked up the v rack yet, but I can surely come up with something that will work.
  • okienine said:
    thanks Cen-Tex, I picked up some mesquite chunks today, really like mesquite for steaks, but I will grab some oak tomorrow, how many chunks go in, 3 or 4? I will take a look and see what I can come up with on the rub, if I can not find something I may just mix some up myself. Will definitely try the FTC.
    3-4 chunks is good.

You can mix your own rub for sure. I don't because I'm lazy in that regard. bad byron's is around so you can probably find it at the good grill store in your town. 

the FTC and letting it cool is the secret anyway.

• You can use the grid over a drip pan if you don't have anything else but it's better if you can raise your drip pan off the platesetter. We'll cross that bridge when you are ready to set up. 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Welcome!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I thought Travis was the brisket expert?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Welcome!

I read on another forum that eggs bought from Sam's could be registered for warranty. One person even posted that they had made a couple of warranty claims which were honored by the mothership.

Either way, have with your new bbq weapon of awesomeness.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.