Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

wood chunks

MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,305
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
so random question... will wood, like apple wood, lose its "flavor" if left out? I've only bought the bags of woodchunks and always leave it in the bag but saw this and thought about getting it to label and have some selections

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,414
    I think it should be fine. As it ages there is some moisture loss but I only think this would cause it to burn faster.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have had a pallet of pecan chunks -- outside, but covered for two years, and i can't tell any difference in it.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,890
    FWIW- I think the bags of chunks I get are not sealed air tight.  I'm pretty sure I have noticed little holes in them.  They might do this intentionally to prevent mold due to moisture trapped in the wood...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    edited March 2013
    Just soak them in apple juice  :)
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2013
    @yzzi

Soak wood?? Do people do that. I don't think it'll burn if its wet

XLBGE 
    ·
    Soak the apple chips/chunks in apple juice instead of water like some do. Geez, I hate it when I have to explain the joke...
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 616
    edited March 2013
    I have heard if you soak them for about 30 mins before you cook they smoke more. I do not know how true this is because I have done both ways just never paid attention the the smoke. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,451
    Noneed to soak. They will dry as soon as they get in the fire anyway. Waste of time IMO
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    I thought this forum was sarcasm friendly.... It was a joke for getting the apple favor back.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
    @yzzi

Hahahahahaha I'm sorry. Was joking right back. I thought mine was gtt'ing with sarcasm but its all lost in the interwebs. I knew you were joking

XLBGE 
    ·
    @six_egg
    It does nothing to soak. Definetlt not for only 30 min. There is no penetration in that short of a time period

XLBGE 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    How long do i soak them in the apple juice? :)]
    ·

@six_egg It does nothing to soak. Definetlt not for only 30 min. There is no penetration in that short of a time period
    Soaking pecan chunks in pecans does work though
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,451
    yzzi said:

@six_egg It does nothing to soak. Definetlt not for only 30 min. There is no penetration in that short of a time period
    Soaking pecan chunks in pecans does work though

My peach chunks are just dried/rotten peaches too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Oh you guys are good. Hook is set just reel me in :)

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    I hear soaking the cook in bourbon leads to the food having a more smoky flavor... usually from  catching fire after being forgotten in the egg

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • How long do i soak them in the apple juice? :)]

Until they smell like pecans

·
  • This is my setup, works well for me so far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
    @dave in Florida

What does the writing say? Meat to put it with?

XLBGE 
    ·
    edited March 2013

Wow man nice setup. I just throw mine in a cabinet and hope I can find them.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

·
  • @dave in Florida What does the writing say? Meat to put it with?
    Yes, it the description from the smoking flavor chart taped to the container.  http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf

The container were gotten at Lowes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,588
    I have pressure treated wood i cut into chunks....burns slow.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    @henapple

I literally about died at work when I read this. Got some really strange looks, just said "you wouldn't understand"

XLBGE 
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,440
    henapple said:

And you won't rot when you die !!

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • henapple said:
    I can see an advantage here.  You don't have to wait for the VOC's to burn off.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    when i go to my dealer they hook me up because im there at least once a week either buying something or just shooting the breeze (its right by my favorite lunch spot) they just get me a box about the size of a shoe box and fill it with chunks that are in those plasticy burlap looking sacks they get from their supplier.  i just keep it in the boxes under my table, no issue at all, im not nearly as organized as @dave_in_florida though.  i usually end up guessing or smelling them to know what i grabbed.
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    @henapple I prefer the creosote railroad crossties.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • @mrcookingnurse, perhaps you could try injecting the wood with reduced apple cider. Outta do the trick
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
    What if i slow smoke the chunks and then pull them into chips??

XLBGE 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    What if you drink a whole lot of beer and then urinate on the wood an then ... Uhhh never mind . Forget I said anything.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·