Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

injecting flavor

Options
So what does injection of flavor really do? I mean I understand what your doing I guess what is the real deal,  does it make much difference in the taste? And also what do you use? Any info is greatly appreciated,  thanks.  

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I have only tried injecting butts and since I stopped I haven't noticed a difference in the taste or moisture.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

For pork butts, i am stuck on Lawry's Teriyaki with Pineapple Juice Marinade.  It costs about $3.50 for a 12 ounce bottle.  I get about 6 ounces injected in an average butt.  It doesn't make the butt taste like "teruyaki" at all, but a rich flavor.  Doesn't seem to make any difference if i marinate it overnight of an hour before the cook  -- this works for me..

BTW -- i turbo cook my butts, but i have used this with "low and slows" years ago.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @michigan_jason has some kind of set up that he swears by if you are talking butts. If you are talking brisket....talk to me first.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chris123stock
    Options
    @michigan_jason has some kind of set up that he swears by if you are talking butts. If you are talking brisket....talk to me first.

Well I have both, I am just wondering if it helps, also how come my brisket came out to moist? I like it a little dryer not real juicy.  So tell me will injecting the brisket make it more moist?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I am anti-injecting brisket. period. How did you do your brisket? Did you wrap it during the cook?

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I am anti-injecting brisket. period. How did you do your brisket? Did you wrap it during the cook?

I'm with cen tex. No injecting briskeys here. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I'm with cen tex. No injecting briskeys here. 
    yeah, but I don't have my own method.

• chris123stock
    Options

Last one I did was 17 hrs 225 or so ID. Then foil with a little apple juice for the last hour or so. IT up to 205. Then rest for 3 to 4 hours? It was good tasted right, just real moist? 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Then foil with a little apple juice for the last hour or so.

That's your issue. 

Try this:

Bad Byron's But Rub until you can't see the grain of the meat (don't go nuts with the BB. It's salty so if in doubt, go less)
    250 ish indirect with oak chunks until 195-200 (tender)
    FTC for a few hours
    Unwrap and Let cool until you can easily handle with bare hands before slicing

simple as that. No apple juice (ever- yuck!) :))

• chris123stock
    Options

That's your issue. 

Try this:

Bad Byron's But Rub until you can't see the grain of the meat (don't go nuts with the BB. It's salty so if in doubt, go less)
    FTC for a few hours

Thanks I will do it this way, I just picked up a brisket and will cook it soon I do appreciate the good info,  always helps. Still don't get the deal with injecting meat? 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

That's your issue. 

Try this:

FTC for a few hours

Thanks I will do it this way, I just picked up a brisket and will cook it soon I do appreciate the good info,  always helps. Still don't get the deal with injecting meat? 
    I never do it so I can't help. Some people swear by it but I'll have to let them chime in. I've tried a few times.....meh
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I inject both brisket and butt (turkey too) however it is habit and I'm happy with the results so I don't want to gamble with changing it. For the butt, last two times I've done it, I've strained Italian dressing and injected the liquid and mixed the strained chunks with my rub on the outside. Seems to work well but it's unclear if it adds to the moisture, but I did notice a flavor difference since using this method.