Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picked up my 1/2 cow. NY Strip pics attached

Finally picked up my 1/2 cow from the butcher. It hung for 3 weeks before he cut it. So far, I have had the best hamburger and the best steak I can recall. Really excited about spending the next year eating this meat. The quality is as good as anything I have ever bought, maybe better. Here are a few pics from the steak cook last night. Still using camera phone, sorry about the quality. 

This is a game changer for us. I don't really see myself going back to the grocery store or Costco for beef. Now, if I can just find 1/2 a pig to buy...

imageimageimageimage
XL,L,S 
Winston-Salem, NC 

Comments

• Congrats, steaks look great.  We've been buying 1/2 cow for a few years now and you're right about not wanting to go back to store bought beef.  Best beef we've ever eaten.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I know what you talking about. We raise beef and slauder one every 1/2 to 2 years. Hard to beat.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • I/2 steer is great. Hopefully it wasn't a milking cow :) we get a 1/2 steer every year and a whole hog. For both it runs around 900-1000. Everything is open range and vacuumed packed. You may want a whole pig though. There is 3 in our family and we are out of pork as of now.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    @piney
    I worked in Lenoir for a couple years and grew up in Hickory. Are you in the furniture industry?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • piney
    No not much furniture left. I am in trucking go from NC to Calif.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Hi54putty
    I/2 steer is great. Hopefully it wasn't a milking cow :) we get a 1/2 steer every year and a whole hog. For both it runs around 900-1000. Everything is open range and vacuumed packed. You may want a whole pig though. There is 3 in our family and we are out of pork as of now.
    It was an open range steer, everything cut up how I wanted and vacuum packed. The guys I bought it from do it as a hobby but it is a first class operation. About 300 head I think. 

I will keep that in mind about the pig, thanks for the advice. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    piney said:
    No not much furniture left. I am in trucking go from NC to Calif.
    Yeah, figured that was the case. Everyone I grew up with was in furniture or textiles, now I don't know anyone in either. I worked up there at Wilkie Construction. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • piney
    You said you were looking for a 1/2 hog call Ted @ Thomas Bros. Meat Processing in Wilksboro, NC he does our pigs and beef always has some for sale. (Try the sausage) wonderful!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    I know those boys at Wilkie. Dean big bear hunter,Joey Lugo old truck driver, and a lot of the laborers. Been a while.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Hi54putty
    piney said:
    I know those boys at Wilkie. Dean big bear hunter,Joey Lugo old truck driver, and a lot of the laborers. Been a while.
    Yup, good people. I worked for both but spent more time with Greg. They have been all over the world hunting. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I just recently went in and got 1/4 cow with some friends. Best thing I have ever done.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    54- what was the breakdown? Did you end up with a ton of ground beef? Looks like a good way to go
    Greensboro, NC
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great, something I need to look into now that I grill at least 5 times a week. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Hi54putty
    Wolfpack said:
    54- what was the breakdown? Did you end up with a ton of ground beef? Looks like a good way to go
    I don't know the break out specifically. I did get a lot of ground beef. I asked for all the good steaks, roasts, ribs, brisket, and other cuts I could think of. I guess everything else is ground beef. I also got a lot of cube steak that they tenderized before packing. I think I am most excited about trying the tongue. I have seen a few recipes that look great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @Hi54putty
    I was disappointed last order we got didn't have the tongue. Gonna ask about it next time. I've been tempted to do it every since someone posted a cook on here last year.

XLBGE 
  • Hi54putty

@Hi54putty
    I was disappointed last order we got didn't have the tongue. Gonna ask about it next time. I've been tempted to do it every since someone posted a cook on here last year.

It was kind of funny. When I called the butcher I specifically asked for the tongue. He told me that that no one usually asks for it and they keep it for themselves. Apparently it's his favorite part of the cow.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC