Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs with a Crabmeat Stuffing

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Had some chicken thighs, but felt like doing something a bit different last night. So we deboned them and made up a crabmeat stuffing to go with them.

Thank goodness for Mrs. G. I'm not so handy when it comes to rolling them up. Rubbed down with DP Tsunami Spin and then they went on to the Egg at 400F with apple wood chips for smoke

After 20 minutes, they were done.

Served them up with a wedge salad.

Turned out pretty good. I didn't get as much of the crab flavor as I was hoping for. Not sure if I didn't add enough or if it was because I used canned (all I could find) versus fresh. Will definitely try again with fresh to see how it compares. Money shot!

I love the time change. I can actually get pictures of food on the grill with natural sunlight. So much better than a flash.

Recipe and directions can be found HERE

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Very nice plated photo  -- might have to try this while using Myron Mixon's method of "cupcake chicken thighs"?  Kind of boils them in chicken broth for the first part of the cook>
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    WOW!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks beautiful @Griffin!  Very creative.  Your wife has definitely got a knack for that sort of thing.  If I did that they would end up looking like the chicken was in a fight with the crab and they both were severely injured. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Griff, first of all the cook looks outstanding. I love the "cubed" wedge idea. I've never seen it like that before, just the standard quarter-head of iceberg.

6oz of crab seems woefully tiny(at least for us Marylanders). Over here, you'll see "Chicken Chesapeake" on many menus that have chicken breast stuffed with crab imperial.

Perhaps you could double the crab meat and use bread crumbs as a binder? That would at least keep the "stuffing" flavors. Imperial would push it towards crabcake-stuffed chicken - which would still be awesome.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Looks beautiful @Griffin!  Very creative.  Your wife has definitely got a knack for that sort of thing.  If I did that they would end up looking like the chicken was in a fight with the crab and they both were severely injured. 
    That would be a very interesting fight to watch. My money is on the crab. They have a taste for chicken(that's been my experience with crab pots).
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice, very nice......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Crab and Chickens living together. What is the world coming to?
    Next thing you know they will be filming Deadliest Catch in a Chicken Coop.
    Looks interesting.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Looks great Griff, blue cheese wedge too.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Wow beautiful plate of food. A+
    Seattle, WA
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Just added this to my bookmarks and list of future cooks!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's awesome Griff!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Griffin
    Options

Thanks for all the kind words. Felt good to be smoking again last night,e ven if it was quick.

Anybody got a problem with pictures of some chicken fried backstrap tomorrow if it comes out ok?

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    Had a leftover thigh for lunch today. Either I inhaled too much apple wood smoke last night or bourbon. My taste buds must have been way off. I could easily tell there was crab in it today. Good stuff for sure.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Nicely done, @Griffin!  I concur with you about this time of year for picture taking. 
  • chris123stock
    Options
    That looks amazing definitely need to try. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Nice cook and beautiful plating.  I like the lettuce wedge.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Really nice....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks awesome and I agree with the daylight and the cooking pictures. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.