Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ubatuba Granite for Table top

Options

Planning on using Ubatuba Granite on my BGE table.  Local granite store said Ubatuba is not good for out doors as it will fade and crack.

Looks like many people use ubatuba for their BGE Tables.... anyone have any problems they can share?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Found this:

"Uba Tuba Granite Tile can be used on decks, porches, patios, and walls. Indoors; kitchen floors and backsplashes are the most popular area of use for granite tile."

from first result here

Maybe they've had problems with it.
    Options
    In 10yrs of fabricating granite I have not had an issue with using UBA TUBA outside other than if it is in direct sunlight it will get hot enough to fry an egg. If it is in direct sun the color will change over the course of a few years but it will be so gradual you wont notice it unless you have before and after pics. The reason it changes is due to mineral that oxidizes and will pick up some gold looking streaks. Actually very cool. 

Here is a another thread where this was discussed 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Capper
    Capper Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. the granite suplier specifically said that the heat/sun would curl the slab up and crack along with the colour change which i am not worrried about.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I have Uba Tuba on my bar and it is grainy I have first hand knowledge that it will crack like a car windshield. Luckily the piece I broke was a smaller piece
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @SmokinDAWG82 - what caused your crack?

analyze adapt overcome

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Must I embarrass myself on the forum? I dropped my screw gun on it, totally idiot moment
    Adult beverages were involved
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    At least is was a small piece!!! You should see a full slab shatter when it hits the ground. Don't ask how I know

analyze adapt overcome

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Uber Tuba!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Capper
    Capper Posts: 2
    Options
    @SmokinDawg82 sucks to hear about your crack.... But the good thing is your saying it had nothing to do about sun/heat!
    Must I embarrass myself on the forum? I dropped my screw gun on it, totally idiot moment
    Adult beverages were involved