Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Proper Pizza Stone Placement

TheCubTheCub Posts: 9

I have cooked a number of pizzas without using the BGE grille.  Specifically, I have set the plate setter in the upright position (i.e. with the legs pointing downward), and the pizza stone being placed directly upon the plate setter.  The pizza have turned out well.

Recently, I saw a BGE catalogue where they show cooking pizza by placing the pizza stone upon the grille, and the grille is sitting upon the legs of the plate setter which is in the inverted position (i.e. legs up).

Which method have you used, and how do the results of the two compare?

Ain't no time like a good time!
·

Comments

• DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    I have an Egg that came with the little green feet. I put my plate setter, legs down, then place the three feet at each leg and then place my pizza stone on those. This provides about a 1 in gap between the stone and the plate setter. One time I placed the stone directly on the plate setter and it transferred too much heat to the stone and burned the bottom of the crust. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • caneggercanegger Posts: 537
    From everything I have read from all the great cooks on here and the way I do it is legs up then grill then stone. It helps eliminate hot spots on the stone and with the high temp it helps save your gasket with the plate setter legs up.
    ·
  • JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    canegger said:
    From everything I have read from all the great cooks on here and the way I do it is legs up then grill then stone. It helps eliminate hot spots on the stone and with the high temp it helps save your gasket with the plate setter legs up.
    this
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,219
    I've tried it a few different ways and I've settled on legs up, grate, then bricks, then stone (high in the dome).

·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    I learned last week after many research cooks to follow what nokaegghead mentioned. Plate setter legs up and then grid and use what ever you can to get the pizza stone above the felt line. I found about an inch and a half above felt and at 550F was good for my cooks. I have used this setup now for 3 separate cooks this last week and they turned out perfect.
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,705
    I do mine PS legs up, grid and homemade raised grid. It is high enough I can't go any higher or my dome won't close. I generally cook at 500 degrees

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    edited March 2013
    Don't use PS. Have one but don't use it. Notice on this adj rid two oval stones. Worked super for me. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,371
    PS legs up, grid, upside down Woo, and stone.  I can only say experience has lead me to this set up and it is much better.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • I use Woo2 with grate. cheap round drip pan (to simulate indirectivity) and homemade raised grid with pizza stone on it. Let 'er rip up to 750 and throw pie on for 1:45-2:00.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • TheCubTheCub Posts: 9
    Woo ?
    Ain't no time like a good time!
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,295
    TheCub said:
    Woo ?
    go to ceramicgrillstore.com Tom offers Woo's and Adjustable Rigs for raised direct cooking.
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 454
    @mickey, where did u get that pizza stone??? looks like a good one, able to do 2 at once will be a big help, kids argue whose is done first!!!
    ·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 112
    BGE suggests putting the plate setter legs up with the grid on top of that and the pizza stone on the grid. Still won't save your gasket.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    daffy1909 said:
    @mickey, where did u get that pizza stone??? looks like a good one, able to do 2 at once will be a big help, kids argue whose is done first!!!

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/stones-as-indirect-pieces.html
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Plate setter legs up, grid, 2nd level grid, then pizza stone so I'm cooking higher in the dome
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I do plate setter legs up, with the grid on the legs and then use my spider to set the stone on.  Gets you a little bit higher in the dome and the top of your pizza cooks as quickly as the crust this way.
    ·