Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple Bacon Shrimp with Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce - recipe from Salado

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

The pic below shows the orientation of the bacon-wrapping - try to envision it with no tail and a piece of pineapple in the middle. 

I told my son that we have to do it again soon and take step-by-step pics and he is on board with that so it will happen.  As many noted and have mentioned, he is the more mature and harder working member of our two man team.  Thanks again to those who have complimented me, my son, or the dish.  It was great to meet you as well.  We had a great time.

Bacon-Wrapped Pineapple Shrimp. Photo by Starrynews

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    he was way more mature than anyone else i met. that's for sure
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Foghorn and Son please come back next year. Others, we will talk.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I just ate my screen
    Chubs, they were so good.  The toothpick tasted good too.  FogHorn was a pleasure meeting you and your son.  Hope we will see yall at other fests.   
    I even ate the toothpicks.  Forgot about that part until Sunday.
    Options

Thanks Mickey.  To be honest, it is unlikely that we will make it next year.  This was the end of his spring break.  Next year for spring break he is going on a school trip to Japan.

And he told me that if I go next year without him and take his mom and my SWMBO (same person, in case anyone is wondering) he will feel that I have cheated on him because she would fall in love with Salado on a different level (quaint shopping, etc) and the trip would take on a different meaning.  That's why he made me tell her that Salado is like Woodstock - just a big open field with not enough port-a-potties.  If anybody tells her anything different, I'll sick Fleurdelirious on you with her shiv.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Our loss my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Options
    I beg to differ.  The loss will be mine.

San Antonio, TX

• ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks for the pics. Going to do them for our easter party.what a great idea.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    One quick question - pre-cooked or raw shrimp?

Thanks - they sound great. Cannot wait for warmer weather to arrive to try these!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Can't answer the pre-cooked or raw shrimp question but I can say that the raspberry chipolte sauce that was used in the cook is amazing.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Raw shrimp. I actually get them frozen. They get cooked/ceviched in the lime juice and they will show that by turning orange like a cooked shrimp if you use fresh lime juice - although that is not a necessary component of it because they will also cook plenty on the grill.

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

he was way more mature than anyone else i met. that's for sure

@foghorn...you only have one son? Could've sworn they were twins.....Nola said he was seeing doubles.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I wish I had another like him. Unfortunately my only other child is his older sister. Doesn't surprise me about Nola seeing double.

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Foghorn said:

That's why he made me tell her that Salado is like Woodstock - just a big open field with not enough port-a-potties.  

I think you described it perfectly, sans the hot chicks raising their blouses....... oh wait!  I forgot about Fleurdelirious.  I think you described it perfectly. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Foghorn
    Options
    Here are pics of the prep process and of the finished product.  It gives you an idea of the size of the pineapple pieces and the length of the bacon, etc.  The finished pic also demonstrates how the bacon had fallen apart on a few of them.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks to Spring Chicken for the pics.

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Foghorn: the more I hear about your son, the more I think he needs his own egg...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Foghorn: the more I hear about your son, the more I think he needs his own egg...

We've got 5 grills.  They are all his as much as they are mine. However, I can see an egg being the first housewarming gift I buy him some day...

So far I have resisted buying a small egg for travel/camping because our ProQ smoker is so easily portable - especially if we take out a section.  It all latches together and I can just grab the handle on top and carry it with one hand.  And we have a 20" diameter cooking surface.  He wants a deep fryer as our next addition to the armamentarium. 

San Antonio, TX

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    I plan on cooking this Sunday for lots of people. Since I couldn't find the raspberry chipotle sauce, I went with this witch looks delicious on its own. Should I still mix it 2/1 with regular bbq sauce? 

Also, would brining the shrimps help? In the book breath of a wok, multiple recipes recommend shrimp and so does Griffin. (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147701/brined-and-grilled-shrimp/p1)

Quebec - Canada
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Rothschild Farms also makes a Hot Pepper Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and a Cherry Pomergranate Habanero Sauce that are great.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    Options
    Here's a pic.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Foghorn
    Options

@Bjork, I'm not sure what to tell you about mixing with BBQ sauce.  I'd probably taste it and see if it provides the 3 components I'm looking for in my sauce on these: 1) tangy, 2) sweet/fruity, 3) peppery kick.  I stumbled on this by accident when I made some at a friend's house and forgot to bring sauce and all they had was HEB Peach Habanero BBQ sauce.  It was the best batch I've ever made and I've never been able to find it since.  So I've made up other options.  I have figured out that it's about individual taste - and my individual taste tells me that too much standard BBQ sauce overwhelms the other flavors.

I have no experience brining shrimp so I can't speak to that.  I do think the lime flavor contributes though.

San Antonio, TX

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Oh yeah, and special thanks for Tom from Ceramic Grill Store for providing a raised direct set-up after we had cooked the first couple of batches with plate setter.  By raising the grid the cooking was more even and consistent and there was a little more space in the profile his ceramic stone that allowed me to do a few more shrimp in each batch.

Doing these tomorrow and have follow up question......you say raise direct above but mention the oval stone, did you mean raised indirect? The reference to the stone is confusing me....thanks in advance for advice
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • billyray
    Options
    Just did some, but kick them up a notch. Brined the shrimp in 1/4 cup EVOO, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp granulated garlic 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, covered an refrigderated for 1 hour. Used Dizzy Pig pineapple head on the pineapple and Raging River after wrapping with the bacon. Sauce was 2 parts Rothschild Farms Hot Pepper Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and 1 part Bone Sucking Sauce, unbelieveable!!! No pics because we ate them so fast.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Not sure if I did them justice but these were awesome! Thanks for the inspiration
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I'd precook the bacon some next time. By the time the bacon is done, the shrimp are overdone and tough. JMHO
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Yes, I should have said raised and INDIRECT.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    It looks like people are not only doing them justice - they are taking them to the next level.
    SmokinDAWG, I've wondered abou the relative cooking of the shrimp vs the bacon and I haven't really decided the best way to handle it.... meaning you are probably right. However, I doubt I'll change how I do it - probably because my palate doesn't seem to be sensitive enough to warrant it.

San Antonio, TX

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    I did them direct and it was less than ideal. People still enjoyed them but all the drippings made them taste smoky. I agree the shrimp were overcooked by the time the bacon was done. 

Not a problem, I learned that when cooking bacon, go indirect!
    Quebec - Canada
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    sorry if i missed it, but how long do these things take to cook?