Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oakridge BBQ and DP rubs

Options
I normally make all my own rubs but I decided to branch out and look into some good quality prepacked rubs. I just received the Oakridge sampler, the Black Ops brisket rub and a lb. of the competition rub. I haven't had to the chance to use any yet, just taste them but I really enjoy their flavor and spice levels. They also don't have a ton of salt which is what I prefer. Plus their prices are great and they offer $5.95 flat shipping. I look forward to the chance to get put some of them to use! The DP rubs are hit and miss for me flavor wise and I thought the salt levels were a little high on a couple of rubs, but overall the quality is great and they have turned out a great end result on my cooks. Downside is the shipping costs are high. Just figured I would throw in $.02

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited March 2013
    Options
    High salt levels in many of the commercial products has lead me to me make my own too.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    I used the Oak Ridge pork and chicken rub sampler yesterday and found it a tad salty. I would go easy on it if you are putting it on chicken breasts. Flavor was really good. The Oak Ridge steak seasoning is outstanding. With DP, I find that it doesn't matter how much I use, I haven't experienced any DP seasonings to be too salty. That being said, I don't care for the swamp venom and the jamaican fire walk so I don't know if the salt content is heavier or not.