Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple Bacon Shrimp with Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce - recipe from Salado

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,794

Several people very kindly asked me if I would share the recipe for the Pineapple Bacon Shrimp with Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce that my son and I served in Salado for the past two days.  So here it is.

Thanks for looking.

Shrimp recipe

Ingredients: One batch = approximately 30

30 Round toothpicks

One package (12 oz) Extra Thick Bacon = approximately 10 strips of bacon
30 peeled, deveined shrimp – They should be 26-30 ct (per pound).

Fresh pineapple (don't need a lot - can get some that is already sliced as opposed to a whole pineapple)
10 limes - or a pint of fresh-squeezed lime juice
Any BBQ sauce that is not sweet

Raspberry Chipotle sauce (available at Costco, Mango Habanero sauce at Costco works very well, too) – Mix 2/1 with the BBQ sauce<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Directions:

Juice the limes and put the shrimp in the juice in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes 

Cut each strip of bacon into 3 pieces of equal length. Wrap the bacon around a shrimp with a pineapple in the center and skewer it with a toothpick.  THE LARGER THE PIECE OF PINEAPPLE THE BETTER

Cook on a grill, in a smoker or in an oven. The temperature needs to be between 275 and 350.  The other keys to not having this fall apart are: 1) Use extra thick bacon, and 2) Make sure the cooking surface is non-adherent by spraying it with Pam, 3) Don't overcook the bacon to the point that it gets past "crisp" all the way to "crunchy".

Cook until the bacon is almost crisp. Apply the mixed BBQ sauce, then cook another 10 minutes or so.

Eat.

THE CHALLENGE IS TO NOT HAVE IT FALL APART.  ACTUALLY, THE BEST WAY TO HANDLE THEM ON THE OFF THE GRILL IS TO PICK THEM UP BY THE TOOTHPICKS. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Booked marked this one!!..Thanks

PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I just ate my screen
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Sounds amazing. Pics would be nice. Can't wait to see more recipes from this weekends Fest's.
    egger ave Posts: 721
    The shrimp was great, nice meeting you are your son today and having you cook next to us. See you at the next Eggfest.

John Wallace
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Folks, I grew up catching shrimp in my back yard. This is one of the top recipes I've found. Do your self a favor and try them. 

Fogy, it is good to put a face to you and your son. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Foghorn

It was great to meet Travis, egger ave, and a bunch of others. 

Travis, that's a tremendous compliment - thank you. 

Tjcoley, I'm sorry I don't have pics.  It seemed like at least 1/2 dozen people took a pic of the shrimp on the grill today - does anybody have a picture?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Cash money. Best bite I had all day. Loved it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    This was definitely one of the best items at the Salado Eggfest, both at the Friday night pre-fest party and again at the Fest on Saturday. Try it..... Springram Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Real nice to meet you and your son. This shrimp was outstanding. One of the top cooks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    This sounds soooo good, when you say, 

Wrap the bacon around a shrimp with a pineapple in the center and skewer it with a toothpick.  THE LARGER THE PIECE OF PINEAPPLE THE BETTER
    Do you mean that the shrimp and pineapple is surrounded by the bacon?? Pics anyone? Please
    :(
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Bookmarked for sure! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Damn that sounds good!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    The cooks at work!
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Printed and will try when it gets a little warmer outside. I wish I could've been there.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• TripleD
    TripleD Posts: 14
    World Market also sells raspberry chipolte sauce.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Foghorn I couldn't tell from the description, but do you butterfly the shrimp to place the pineapple in the center, or just put a piece on top of the shrimp and then wrap with bacon?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    These were definitely a hit on Saturday!!

And I just have to say that your boy is a machine. The whole time of the fest he had his head down and was putting together these little beauties. Great job!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn

So, I will try to get some pictures to show the process at some point, but here it is in words.

Think of the shrimp as a "C".  No tail, deveined, shelled.  Put a piece of pineapple in the center of the "C" and then put a toothpick through the shrimp and the pineapple to hold it in place - so that the ends of the toothpick stick out of the "C" making it look like the old-fashioned sign for "cents" (although the toothpick should ideally be perfectly vertical, not a forward slash like in the example below.

¢

Then take 1/3 of a slice of bacon and stick one end on the sharp end of the toothpick, wrap it around the shrimp and pineapple so that the middle of the slice gets skewered by the other end of the toothpick, then keep wrapping to complete the circle to get the very end of the bacon strip skewered back on the sharp end of the toothpick to complete the circle.  Think of it as if you pull the bacon tight it will compress the "C" to make it shorter and fatter.

Does that make sense?  Again, I apologize for not having pictures. Mickey, a local reporter took some pictures and asked me a few questions.  Chubby took some pics as well.  If anybody gets any please post or send them.

Caliking, I actually felt a little guilty becaue my son worked so hard.  He's a great kid and didn't mind at all.  He would rather work at something than have to socialize.  I almost set him up by posting that before the Eggfest to encourage all of you to talk to him to make him socialize but I decided that would be a little to cruel...

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Oh yeah, and special thanks for Tom from Ceramic Grill Store for providing a raised direct set-up after we had cooked the first couple of batches with plate setter.  By raising the grid the cooking was more even and consistent and there was a little more space in the profile his ceramic stone that allowed me to do a few more shrimp in each batch.

San Antonio, TX

• I'm too hung over to read all that but just know it was awesome. The kid was a machine too. You have a good one there. Great to meet you guys. Glad you came up.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Everyone is correct. These were awesome! It was nice meeting you and your son.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sounds right up my alley! I will try them soon for sure. Thanks for posting
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • These were the bomb. Highly recommended

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Please keep in mind (some of us were on the short yellow bus to school) we need pictures ...... I am talking about me. That was outstanding.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Foghorn said:

Several people very kindly asked me if I would share the recipe for the Pineapple Bacon Shrimp with Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce that my son and I served in Salado for the past two days.  So here it is.

Thanks for looking.

Shrimp recipe

Ingredients: One batch = approximately 30

30 Round toothpicks

One package (12 oz) Extra Thick Bacon = approximately 10 strips of bacon
    30 peeled, deveined shrimp – They should be 26-30 ct (per pound).

Fresh pineapple (don't need a lot - can get some that is already sliced as opposed to a whole pineapple)
    10 limes - or a pint of fresh-squeezed lime juice
    Any BBQ sauce that is not sweet

Raspberry Chipotle sauce (available at Costco, Mango Habanero sauce at Costco works very well, too) – Mix 2/1 with the BBQ sauce<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Directions:

Juice the limes and put the shrimp in the juice in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes 

Cut each strip of bacon into 3 pieces of equal length. Wrap the bacon around a shrimp with a pineapple in the center and skewer it with a toothpick.  THE LARGER THE PIECE OF PINEAPPLE THE BETTER

Cook on a grill, in a smoker or in an oven. The temperature needs to be between 275 and 350.  The other keys to not having this fall apart are: 1) Use extra thick bacon, and 2) Make sure the cooking surface is non-adherent by spraying it with Pam, 3) Don't overcook the bacon to the point that it gets past "crisp" all the way to "crunchy".

Cook until the bacon is almost crisp. Apply the mixed BBQ sauce, then cook another 10 minutes or so.

Eat.

THE CHALLENGE IS TO NOT HAVE IT FALL APART.  ACTUALLY, THE BEST WAY TO HANDLE THEM ON THE OFF THE GRILL IS TO PICK THEM UP BY THE TOOTHPICKS. 

Question on the 2-1 mix, not sure I am reading this correctly--is that a mix of two different bbq sauces?  Also agree with others would love to see pics when  you have a chance and thanks for sharing this is at the top of my list of things to try right now!!!
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478

Has anyone tried Sweet Baby Ray's Raspberry Chipotle Bbq Sauce? I wonder if it is similar?

Lenoir, N.C.
  • Foghorn
    The 2:1 mix is 2 parts Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Costco (it looks like jelly) to 1 part BBQ sauce. If you get much more of the BBQ sauce it tends to overwhelm the other flavors.

San Antonio, TX

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Sounds like I've got some appetizers to make for an upcoming crawfish boil..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Chubbs said:
    I just ate my screen
    Chubs, they were so good.  The toothpick tasted good too.  FogHorn was a pleasure meeting you and your son.  Hope we will see yall at other fests.   
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    thank you so much for sharing this recipe. is there anyway I get pics of the finished product. It would help me alot