Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat and wood tables

MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
This comes up every now and again. BE CAREFULL!! Not sure what this guys set up was and in his add he didn't mention the burn at all.

This was a Craigslist post for an egg table, for sale, $100, "sold egg and now selling table"

You can see how the egg had started burning the table because of poor planning. Just wanted to share these pics. You can actually see that it might have been sitting on a paver stone due to the square markings

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• BryanLyle
    BryanLyle Posts: 40
    Good advice. The table nest really does an excellent job of keeping heat away from the table.  I did a high temp cook over the weekend and the table was as cool as cool could be.  The bottom of the egg was scorching hot.
  • MrCookingNurse
    BryanLyle said:

Good advice. The table nest really does an excellent job of keeping heat away from the table.  I did a high temp cook over the weekend and the table was as cool as cool could be.  The bottom of the egg was scorching hot.

Air flow is key

XLBGE 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    If it was on a paver stone I'm confused as to how that would have gotten to the table.  My old table I had it on a paver stone and never once was my table touched.
    Large BGE

• MrCookingNurse
    @eddiek76
    Look real hard at the first picture. It was on a stone.

There have been plenty of pictures of heat transfer through stones.

XLBGE 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I am still lookeing for feet for my L, I can not find them anywhere though. I dont think there will be an issue with the table I have, but you never know.  Anyone out there have a dealer with spare feet?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • I am not sure I see any major issue. So the wood has a hot spot. Big deal. Looking at the pic seems like he didnt have a stone and the table got torched then he put a stone over it. I dont really see a huge deal though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    edited March 2013
    I am not sure I see any major issue. So the wood has a hot spot. Big deal. Looking at the pic seems like he didnt have a stone and the table got torched then he put a stone over it. I dont really see a huge deal though.
    the point is you need a stone and an additional airspace. heres my hot spot under the egg on a wooden table, its from a time when bge said you only needed the feet to create an airspace. that wood is 2 inches thick where it burned thru
    ;)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The point is you need a stone and an additional airspace. heres my hot spot under the egg on a wooden table, its from a time when bge said you only needed the feet to create an airspace. that wood is 2 inches thick where it burned thru
    ;)

I understand using a paver not the feet. Heck mine didn't come with the feet anyway. Although look at the pic again. Appears they had it just sitting on the table no paver for a couple cooks. I highly doubt it would have left an almost perfect circle through a paver.

• fishlessman
    The point is you need a stone and an additional airspace. heres my hot spot under the egg on a wooden table, its from a time when bge said you only needed the feet to create an airspace. that wood is 2 inches thick where it burned thru
    ;)

I understand using a paver not the feet. Heck mine didn't come with the feet anyway. Although look at the pic again. Appears they had it just sitting on the table no paver for a couple cooks. I highly doubt it would have left an almost perfect circle through a paver.
    you can see where the paver was starting to char the wood as well after he put one there, why chance it when all you need to do is put 3 quarters under the egg for an air space between egg and paver, the feet are not needed. i wont chance even putting the egg on the deck again, i found thegg in the morning still balancing over that hole doing a low and slow, could have been much worse

fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The point is you need a stone and an additional airspace. heres my hot spot under the egg on a wooden table, its from a time when bge said you only needed the feet to create an airspace. that wood is 2 inches thick where it burned thru
    ;)

As fishy said in his post, the egg was just on the feet to create that hole. You can even tell by their shape at 12, 3:30 and 7:30. His point was that you need both an air gap and stone, as 1 or the other is not enough for really high heat cooks that the egg can achieve. 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I dunno, I had mine on a paver and no legs standing it up just strictly on the paver and never had any issues.....I mean I'm not trying to be argumentative I just think he had it on there originally without the paver.
    Large BGE

• fishlessman
    EddieK76 said:
    I dunno, I had mine on a paver and no legs standing it up just strictly on the paver and never had any issues.....I mean I'm not trying to be argumentative I just think he had it on there originally without the paver.
    ive seen some good wood burns over the years with just the paver. with mine, it stood there without a burn for over 3 years and then just burned one night while doing a low and slow, not even a hot cook. there are cheaper ways to make an air space than 75 cents, i dont see risking it
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My first table caught on fire around the hole it the table. Did a pizza with platesetter legs down and the sides of the egg got so hot the table caught. Luckily I caught it but a good chunk of mybtable burned up.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    After using my egg on a wood table for about 4 yrs with only the BGE feet I had a hole burned about the size of a soft ball under the egg. Did the repairs and now my egg sits on a paver about 1 1/2 inches thick with three BGE feet under the egg. Might be over kill but I feel much better !!!!

Opelika, Alabama
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited March 2013
    I am glad I listened to @Nolaegghead a while back !! He advised me to use a paver and the three feet! Have had no issues!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • MrCookingNurse
    UPDATE:

guy emailed me back and he said when he built his table he just put a kitchen tile under the egg and that is how the burn for there.  Now he has his egg in a nest, is moving, and just didn't wanna use the table anymore.

XLBGE 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Kosko said:
    I am glad I listened to @Nolaegghead a while back !! He advised me to use a paver and the three feet! Have had no issues!
    I listened to @Nolaegghead a while back too! Spent 3 weeks in jail...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    when you say feet are you talking about the "table nest' that's on the BGE site? 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    That's the new product to replace the 3 ceramic feet they use to give with an egg. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    no newby84 eggs at one time came with ceramic feet.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I've had my large on the three feet sitting on a concrete paver stone for almost three years with no issue (yet!).

I feel very comfortable with both low-n-slow and hot clean burns.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Makes my plans to use steel tubing for the frame and steel for the shelves sound even better. Non-flammable ceramic tile for the top.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein