Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone size?

Options
Hi, I was wondering what size bge pizza stone is best suited for the large egg the 14 inch or 16 inch stone.This pizza stone will be used for pizza on the AR rig extender and therefore above the gasket level. The bge cataloge recommends 14" but im not sure if putting the stone the rig ext means a larger size could work as good?

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Get the 14' as it is made for the large BGE...whether you are using the AR or not...IMHO
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    +1 on the 14
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If you are doing thin crust pizza, the 16 works great on the rig extender.  It's the only stone I use with thin crust, no second stone as a heat deflector.  If you are doing thick crust pizza, then 13 or 14 probably better because you may need a second stone as a deflector stone.  Comes down to how well you can manage fire/heat.

With two stones, use the large stone as the deflector and smaller stone as the pizza stone.  This insures full coverage under the pizza stone, no burned edges on the pizza. 

tom  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Not sure what size egg your using tjv but with the 16" stone on the rig ext will i have enough clearance to close the lid on the large egg.

thanks.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Canman1976,  16" stone in picture on rig extender,  the 13x17 oval stone does not fit but the 16 round works great.  t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Thanks tjv i'll be placing a order soon. I'm in Canada and am getting the r&b oval combo with extender and I want to get it right the first time and only have to order once as shipping is going to hurt!!!! 

Talk to you soon!!
    :)]

• AthensM50
    AthensM50 Posts: 19
    Options
    so is anyone using the Pampered Chief Pizza Stones???.....did know if you could use it or not....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    AthensM50 said:
    so is anyone using the Pampered Chief Pizza Stones???.....did know if you could use it or not....
    As long as the heat is under 450 OK, so, no. 
    you need 1" - 1 1/2" minimum between the stone and the egg wall, do if on the large you are up in the dome a 16" is tight, a 15" is perfect, 14" is the compromise. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!