Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pistachio Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Cherry Balsamic Honey Wine Sauce

500500 Posts: 1,222
Small 1# pork tenderloin, scored and seasoned w/ EVOO, Salt, pepper, and crushed pistachios.  Cooked raised direct at 350* to 140* IT.  Rested and loosely foiled, then sliced and served with a sauce of sweet and sour dried cherries, pinot noir wine, balsamic vinegar, and honey.  Sides of twice baked potatoes, brussel sprouts and more pinot noir in the glass.

Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
"Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."

Comments

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 1,349
    Nicely done!  It looks great and pretty easy.  
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Durham, NC
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,953
    Wow!  That is a fine looking meal!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    Looks great! Did you end up using mustard or find a good method for getting the pistachios to stick? I still plan on make some version of this soon. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • 500500 Posts: 1,222
    We decided on a more elegant meal, since we were celebrating our wedding anniversary Saturday night. 

It was the first time Mrs. 500 tried her hand at brussel sprouts.  The bacon and shallots in them were a nice touch.  She's got the twice baked potatoes down now too.

For the sauce, I modified this Martha recipe, adding 1 T. of honey, and substituting a young fruit forward Pinot Noir instead of the Port.  I found that just pressing the crushed pistachios into the meat firmly, got them to stick on the oiled meat.  The ones that were crushed to a fine dust did hold better than the larger pieces.  Through the cook, I gingerly turned it.  I think slower cooking at the raised grid helped to not burn the nuts, although the bigger ones did get scorched some.  I used dried cherries because fresh are not in season.  I'll try it again with fresh when they come around again.  I think it was a decent first effort to modify an inside cook for the Egg, and would do it again. 
    Happy Anniversary! 

That sounds like a good way of doing it., I was thinking going indirect and maybe turning it once or not at all to help with the fire reaching the pistachios and not burning them or having them fall off while turning. I like the pinot noir substitution. 

I still need to try brussel sprouts I haven't had them in a long time and hated them back then.. bacon and shallots would be right up my alley. Did she make them inside or on the egg? 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    Only the pork was Egged.  The sauce and everything else was sans Egg.
    Ok thanks, brussel sprouts are on the list but the pork is up at the top. I'll get to both of them eventually. 
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Wow, talk about taking something plain and really amping it up.
    Nicely done, I'll have to try this. I love the Brussel sprouts too, but I'm the only one in the house who does.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 5,368
    That's a great looking cook! I'll take a plate, please... but I'm not marrying you for it. Happy Anniversary, too!

@Solson005 + @lscott : brusells sprouts are a fav in our house, especially drizzled with some balsamic vinegar.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    Oh yeah, there was some balsamic in the Brussels as well. They were really good. And between them on Saturday and boiled cabbage on Sunday, I'm still blowing the trouser trumpet.
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,580
    sounds and looks, mighty fine.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,730
    Brussels sprout tolerance in my house is directly proportional to the amount of Asian Toasted Sesame salad dressing used to prepare them.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Brussels sprouts take some time to cook, i used them in a side yesterday, tossed them in with some thick sliced fresh mushrooms and banana peppers.  Coated them with balsamic vinagerette dressing and garlic salt.  Cooked high in the dome, over a spatchcocked chicken, cooking at 400 degrees.  Came out good, the peppers overcooked, but were decent!!
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 1,824
    Looks fantastic!
    2014 Co-Wing King