Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs on the Mini

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
While at IKEA the other day I saw a little cart that I thought would work with my Mini & get it off the nest on the ground to a more comfortable cooking height. It got a test run yesterday:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Seasoned a small rack of baby backs with 50/50 mix of Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple & Cherry Rubs, then put one half on then a raised grid (barely high enough): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The Mini was cooking in the 260-275 range and a few hrs later (with some spritzing of AJ) they were close: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

They shrunk just enough to finish on one level: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Felt like going without sauce this time. Sliced (ignore other ribs in back of pic as they were not cooked on an Egg): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ribs were good but it was sure a tight fit. St Louis spares lie a little flatter & fit a Mini a little easier. The cart passed the test but I may look for a little bigger casters with locks. I might add some weight to the bottom shelf as well for added stability. Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a great little cook! Ribs look deelish.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JWBishop
    JWBishop Posts: 12
    Options
    Good looking ribs. I would second the idea of weight on the bottom shelf, looks top heavy.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Nice work.... looks awesome! I like that temp probe idea also.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I might need the bolt, washer nut sizes. I run into height issueswhen i have tried to stack on top of food.Now that I have a ci grid I can use the other 2 like this if needed.
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have all sorts of Ikea hacks I repurpose for things other than the original idea. 

Ribs look awesome 
    =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited March 2013
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I might need the bolt, washer nut sizes. I run into height issueswhen i have tried to stack on top of food.Now that I have a ci grid I can use the other 2 like this if needed.

@SkinnyV - My mini came with a 9 1/2" SS grid that I used with 2 1/2" SS 1/4" machine screws & SS 1/4" washers/nuts for the upper tier. It barely fits and needs to sit perfectly on the 10" grid for the lid to close right. The machine screws actually don't need to be longer than 2" with my 9 1/2" grid & I'm going to cut mine down to 2".
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    edited March 2013
    Options
    wieght on the bottom sounds good, looks a little top heavy!! nice job on the ribs! made me want some! gonna do ribs tonite!!!! :-j
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    And they say the mini is a joke. [-X Nicely done, Sir, nicely done.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ah b-(

Wrong thread

XLBGE