Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First cooks = success!

Maiden voyage of the LBGE was Friday night.  Cooked a Simon and Garfunkel chicken that was the best we'd ever had.  Repeat performance Saturday night for relatives.  Decided to live dangerously and try pizza tonight - two small ones for the kids, one big one for me and SWMBO.  Thanks to all the great tips on this forum everything turned out brilliantly!  Still have room to improve, but happy so far.

imageimageimage
·

Comments

• Looks great. Excellent first cook
    ·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Welcome to the clan. Looks great!
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,549
    Wow ddegger looks great!!! You certainly nailed it.What kind of wood did you use  for smoke on the chicken and what exactly is in the simon and garfunkel blend???
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • Looks great! And welcome!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,274
    Excellent! :D
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,022
    Congrats - the maiden voyage looks eggcellent!

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    You should have been cooking at the EggFest.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Thanks everyone. @canman1976: I used apple wood chunks for a light smoke. Sat the bird in the fridge for 24 hrs to dry out the skin (extra crispy when done!). Rubbed with EVOO, then a little turbinado sugar, then a rub of salt, pepper, parcely, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Raised indirect at 380 for about an hour. Potatos and mushrooms in the drip pan tomsoak up juice, asparagus on for the last 15 min.
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Great first cook. I love Simon & Garfunkle chicken.
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Everything looks really good! Off and running with great first meals on the egg. Looking forward to more posts! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,834
    Welcome, good stuff. 
    just like a new car, that clean gasket and white stone..... brings back memories. (snif)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Nice start to this obsession, Keep the posts coming!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    Awesome first cook looks great.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Congrats -- that is a perfect chicken -- you are off to a great start!!  Thanks for posting !
    ·