Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Carten help please

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
My Mini got a new home over the weekend. Cooked burgers and checked the bottom of he Carten: hot.... Thinking if put the feet between Mini and Carten? What do you do? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• I would set it on a patio paver
    Chesapeake, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Feet of some sort. The air flow is essential for keeping it cooler.
  • If anything I would mount feet to the 4 bottom corners of the basket
    Gittin' there...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey, if you could find a sheet of aerogel to put the egg on, you could make pizzas with the egg carten on your lap.  Unfortunately, it would probably cost more than the rest of the setup combined.... ;)

I'd get 4 nylon adjustable legs, drill some holes in the bottom corners of the carten and let that be your air gap.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Leveler-Glides-set-4/dp/B001DT4T3Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363557483&sr=8-3&keywords=adjustable+threaded+nylon+leg
    Nola you are saying let the alum take the heat from Mini and cool the underneath?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    Yeah, I'm going to assume the manufacturer would have some stern warnings plastered somewhere you'd see if the aluminum couldn't take the heat.  Looking at pictures of it online, it looks like the egg sits right on the aluminum plate.
    Send it to me and I will figure something out.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • mhoutman
    mhoutman Posts: 57
    edited March 2013
    What are other users of the EGGcart experiencing ? To me this seems a failure by wrong design
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I cut a square in my table and the carten sits in it supported by the sides of the carten so the bottom of the carten is in the air.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Mickey,

Got home today with a new Mini and Egg Carten from the Eggfest. Still putting the Mini together but had the very same question about the need for feet of some kind and where to put them. Great minds think alike! :<)

Nola's idea is great but he is a master furniture maker as well as cook (you should see the furniture he makes..wow) but I am all thumbs. Ask him someday about his "pressure cooker hooch".

I am going to contact Scott, the maker of the Egg Carten, to see what he says. His contact info is on the side of the Carten.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, the story is out about how I drilled a hole in my mom's pressure cooker so I could turn it into a still to make moon shine when I was in college.  (my brother puked after tasting the first batch).  Then, to add insult to injury, I made charcoal in the oven with some tree branches to get them fusel oils out of the moonshine and make whiskey. :D
    @Mickey. If i had won a mini i would have bought a carten and would help you out....but now you're on your own. :((
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I put mine on a teak shower stool and have not had any issues. When I first got mine I did a test with my IR thermometer, now mine is a small egg but this was my findings. I had it to 625° for about 30 minutes to sear a tri-tip and the bottom of the carten only got to 110° Here is a picture of it at 450° and it had only gone up 1 degree.

Yesterday I had it running for about 10 hours while I did a Boston Butt and my teak shower stool has no signs of wear from any of the many cooks I have done. I didn't have my IR thermometer because I was at a friends lake house. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • slewis
    slewis Posts: 7

Hello Mickey and Springram,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The mini looks almost as good as the burgers! Was looking at the rave reviews from Salado and saw the questions regarding temp of the Carten while cooking. I have had many folks say that they are seeing very low temps while cooking and don’t use a barrier between the Carten and the table it sits on. This is not recommended especially if you are sitting the Carten on a flammable surface. Table tops made of plastic or even wood may be damaged for sure. Many variables come into play when discussing thermal transfer between two surfaces. For instance Solon’s pict shows a wood table top that is actually slats that likley are allowing air to circulate and reduce the temps. Also the teak wood may be more tolerant of higher temps than other wood tables. The Carten is actually made to make transport much easier not to provide the thermal barrier that is needed at the bottom of any green egg. The aluminum material is designed to withstand the heat that it sees at the bottom of the egg without any problem so there is no need to remove the Egg from the Carten while cooking but you do need to protect the table if it can not withstand the temps. I would recommend that a 12x12 landscape tile be used if there are any questions as to if the table being used can withstand the temps. Let me know if you or Springram have any further questions I can help with, I want happy and SAFE customers!! By the way...congratulations on your new Mini Springram!

Thanks again Mickey and Spring Chicken for a great Fest this year.

Scott

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Great to meet you Scott. Great product...i like the way you number them.
  • Solson005
    I agree @henapple Number 19 here! 

If you are concerned @RAC has a great table that I think is perfect. Lifetime Tailgate Table. Here is the EggCarten on it in the post New Family Member
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    slewis said:

Hello Mickey and Springram,

The mini looks almost as good as the burgers! Was looking at the rave reviews from Salado and saw the questions regarding temp of the Carten while cooking. I have had many folks say that they are seeing very low temps while cooking and don’t use a barrier between the Carten and the table it sits on. This is not recommended especially if you are sitting the Carten on a flammable surface. Table tops made of plastic or even wood may be damaged for sure. Many variables come into play when discussing thermal transfer between two surfaces. For instance Solon’s pict shows a wood table top that is actually slats that likley are allowing air to circulate and reduce the temps. Also the teak wood may be more tolerant of higher temps than other wood tables. The Carten is actually made to make transport much easier not to provide the thermal barrier that is needed at the bottom of any green egg. The aluminum material is designed to withstand the heat that it sees at the bottom of the egg without any problem so there is no need to remove the Egg from the Carten while cooking but you do need to protect the table if it can not withstand the temps. I would recommend that a 12x12 landscape tile be used if there are any questions as to if the table being used can withstand the temps. Let me know if you or Springram have any further questions I can help with, I want happy and SAFE customers!! By the way...congratulations on your new Mini Springram!

Thanks again Mickey and Spring Chicken for a great Fest this year.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks so very much for your help on the matter. I will use the 12' X 12"  tile as recommended and not worry about it anymore. Problem solved! I am owner of Mini Egg Carten #25 and proud of it!

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    @slewis
    Scott thanks for the post. I am thinking of a mat type product (rubber, ???) to go between the Mini and the Carten. Or the plastic/rubber little 1/2 inch legs on the bottom of the Carten itself.  Or both.
    Most of the time it will set on a SS table but still don't wish to forget and set it done on a wood table. Any more thoughts on this line of thinking and you had to look a legs and toss the idea out?

• nolaegghead
    Silicone mat is very inexpensive, and, as you know, has excellent insulation properties (think oven mitts)
    edited March 2013
    Silicone mat is very inexpensive, and, as you know, has excellent insulation properties (think oven mitts)

That is just what I was thinking of. Mat between Egg and box, correct? Would you add a second for bottom of box? A plus would be no slip of the Egg while traveling. Another plus is I intend to flip box over and cook off the bottom if no table and mat would work fine.

• nolaegghead
    Yep, I don't think you'd need a second, unless your table is made from gasoline soaked rags.  :D

Maybe something like this:
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/foodservice/handling/baking-mats/silikomart-red-silicone-mat-17-14-14?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Baking-Mats-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CIj0zc-0hbYCFc2iPAod0WMAQg

We have some silicone mats for taking stuff out of the oven.  They're  6x6", but I'm sure you can get bigger ones or combine them. 
    Thanks man. Think I will go that way with just the one under the Mini between the alum.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Thanks Nola for the link...Silicon mat a lot lighter than the firebrick I have been carrying around.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Turns out @Nolaegghead is more than just a pretty face.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mickey said:

Mickey said:

Damn...i hope so.
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Where is the egg carten sold
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Jackh said:
    Where is the egg carten sold
    Hit up @slewis with a PM. He sells them through his blogspot site.
  • Solson005
    @Jackh eggCarten.blogspot.com he makes them for both the small and mini egg. 
  • lloydey
    lloydey Posts: 11
    I would love one of these in the UK, Anyone willing to post a mini carten to the UK?

• Mickey
    I just ordered this to put between the Mini and alum bottom. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos