Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked scallops and shrimp questions.

Options
SWMBO wants pasta for dinner so I thought I would add some seafood I don't get to eat much. I have hickory, apple, pecan and sugar maple smoking woods in the garage, any suggestions on what to use?  The main course is cheese stuffed tortellini in an alfredo sauce.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd brine them, brush them with butter, add some spices or a rub that works with seafood (maybe Old Bay or something), then cook them direct.  You could add some heavy smoke - they cook very fast.  You can skewer them to make it easy to flip and serve.  I've never used sugar maple, but out of the other woods, apple would be my choice.
    Options
    What would you brine them in @nolaegghead?  This is a cook I was planning on starting within the next two hours so not sure I have time for a brine to be beneficial.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Remember - both shrimp and scallops are very mild tasting seafood products and cook VERY fast.  It is easy to overpower the actual taste of the seafood ?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    A 30 minute brine in 10% salt and 5% sugar makes a difference.  Rinse well afterwards.
    Options
    I would not smoke them, rather, I would break out a cast pan and some garlic and shallots. Throw some butter in the CI pan along with the garlic and shallots and sear them off. They will pick up the flavor of the garlic and shallots. That's just me. Season with S and P.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @nolaegghead, 10% salt 5% sugar, 85% water?
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @Charlie tuna, yeah, this is almost just a excuse to fire the egg up when the wife doesn't want something off of the egg.
    ;)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Pan frying is how I usually do scallops.  Shrimp on the grill, but you can do both on the grill if you want to fire it up.
    Options
    Yeah, approximate by weight - quart of water, 3 oz salt, 1.5 oz sugar (weight)
    Options
    Yeah pan frying is how I normally do this when the wife wants this dish, but it's nice outside and like I said, just looking for a excuse to cook.