Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post here beef brisket on the egg this morning

JOOST
JOOST Posts: 4
6.5# brisket. Marinated all night with Don Juan's brisket rub and brown sugar. On the egg at 8:30 cst Steady 200 degrees right now with some hickory chips for flavor. I'll keep y'all posted from Texas.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    edited March 2013
    Just an FYI-but if you are 200*F on the calibrated dome your cooking grid temp is likely 20+*F lower so you won't get there from here.  If 200*F at the grid you won't get there either as brisket needs to get to 190*F+ before you start to check for doneness. That usually happens around 200-205*F-probe goes in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat and you are there.  Search brisket and add big green egg to your query and you will get more info than you will ever need.  BTW-most BGE's have a "sweet spot" for temperature control at around 250*F+/- on the dome.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Just an FYI-but if you are 200*F on the calibrated dome your cooking grid temp is likely 20+*F lower so you won't get there from here.  If 200*F at the grid you won't get there either as brisket needs to get to 190*F+ before you start to check for doneness. That usually happens around 200-205*F-probe goes in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat and you are there.  Search brisket and add big green egg to your query and you will get more info than you will ever need.  BTW-most BGE's have a "sweet spot" for temperature control at around 250*F+/- on the dome.  FWIW-

listen to cap. He knows of what he speaks :). Good luck and enjoy the cook.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Listen to Cen Tex...dude can cook a brisket.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    Listen to Cen Tex...dude can cook a brisket.

we all get lucky every once in a while. good times man. gld you made it down.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    +1 on raising the temp to 250-275. Good luck man, enjoy.
    Happy St Patricks Day!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Lmartin
    Lmartin Posts: 11
    I've had whole brisket on since 7am. Dome temp 250 so I grate temp is roughly 220. Internal temp of brisket is 185 after cooking 7 hours. I wrapped in foil at 165 and back on egg. My question is, what temp do I want to putt meat off? I've read so many different forums. Some say pull at 180, some say 195-200. I plan on wrapping in towel and putting in cooler for couple of hours. Next question..... Am I on target with my method?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013
    never 180. ever. you want to start checking for tenderness at 190-195. mine are usually done around then. it can be as high as 205 or so. You want a temp probe or fork to slide in and out with very little resistance in the FLAT (the point will be tender hours before the flat is done) Good luck and enjoy..
  • Lmartin
    I didn't think that 180 sounded like a good idea. It's still on the egg at 8 hrs cooking time and internal temp is now at 195 with dome temp holding steady at 250. Thanks for you comment. I hope it turn out good. I've cooked many brisket in the oven (pre BGE days) but this is my first brisket.

• I didn't think that 180 sounded like a good idea. It's still on the egg at 8 hrs cooking time and internal temp is now at 195 with dome temp holding steady at 250. Thanks for you comment. I hope it turn out good. I've cooked many brisket in the oven (pre BGE days) but this is my first brisket.

I would pull it now and FTC for a few hours before slicing. The cooler rest makes al the difference in the texture.
  • Lmartin
    I didn't think that 180 sounded like a good idea. It's still on the egg at 8 hrs cooking time and internal temp is now at 195 with dome temp holding steady at 250. Thanks for you comment. I hope it turn out good. I've cooked many brisket in the oven (pre BGE days) but this is my first brisket.

I would pull it now and FTC for a few hours before slicing. The cooler rest makes al the difference in the texture.
    Ok, we'll do!!!! Thanks
  • JOOST
    JOOST Posts: 4
    Just pulled the brisket off and have it in a cooler. Internal temp was right at 200 f. Thermometer slid in with ease. image
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Strong work - and welcome aboard. I would ask for a pic of it sliced but since I put up a big PHAIL on that regard with my Salado cook I don't have the right to make that request. ;)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2013
    The Cen-Tex Smoker

That brisket you brought was off the hook, brothah!

That brisket you brought was off the hook, brothah!

Thank you, sir! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time :). That was fun
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I was going to accuse you of standing in line at Franklyn's at 9AM, but I knowz you got skilz