Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many pork butts can I fit and how to fit them?!

jrich
jrich Posts: 17
So I'm helping plan a party with quite a few people attending (maybe up to 40) and they would like pulled pork as a large part of the meat provided. Problem is I only have a single large BGE. So how many pork butts can I fit on my smoker? I have the standard plate setter on my egg. Should I get one of the custom rigs or should I jury-rig my smoker? Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks Ps as an aside, I'm in a foreign country and can only get 4-5 lbs Boston butts, bone-out (rarely a 7 pounder will show up in the commissary.)

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I can't help with your question because I have only ever done one at a time, but good luck to you and thank you for your service.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Haven't done this myself, but here is a thread where someone got 4 large butts on a LBGE...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1078260/how-many-pork-butts-will-fit
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I've done two 8 lb'ers at one time. Now that I got a spider to go with the adjustable rig I think I can get 4 on.

Garnerville, NY
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I did two 6.5 pounders on my large a few weeks ago.  Plenty of room, could have done more.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    edited March 2013
    When I'm trying to figure out space I make a couple of fakes ie ball of newspaper wrapped in foil to approximate the size then space them out. I believe as long as they aren't touching each other your good to go.
    Lynnwood WA
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I have done 3 7# butts on my LBGE single grate. I think you could easily fir 4 5# shoulders on a single grate. I fed 30+ people with my 21# with leftovers. If you have only males figure .75 to 1# per person. With females mixed in it comes down to .5 # per person or less depending on the female mix.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    You could probably do 3 8#ers if you have a raised 2nd grid. I've done 2 on my LBGE with no problem. You could do 2 separate cooks and do 2 each time. Pull the first 2 and then mix with the next 2. an 8 lb but will produce 5 to 6 lbs of cooked meat
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've done three 10 pounders on one level.  With a raised grid, you could probably add two more.

Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    I did (2) 10 lb butts a few weeks ago for about that many people. There was plenty of pulled pork. imageimage
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Sorry...I didn't read the last part of your post until after I responded. If you can't get larger than 4-5 lb butts, I would go with either 3 or 4 of them at that size. You should be able to easily arrange them on your large without adding another level. IMO. Good luck.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • If you are doing two 8# pork butts, will the time take the same for one 8# butt, or is it the same as cooking one 16#.  I am pretty sure the answer is the first one, but I am doing this for my daughters first birthday this Saturday and don't want to screw up the timing.
    LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 17
    It will be the same as cooking one 8 lb butt. It's based on the individual weight, not cumulative. By the way, to reply back to my original post, I purchased the adjustable rig from theceramicgrillstore.com and it's pretty sweet. I took this photo after laying out the meat to see if it will fit. It's five 8-lb butts. Seems to be plenty of space below the lower rack for the smoke/air to circulate. Smoking them in two days... hope it goes well.
  • 5 10's on an XL. Dem Belly Full.