Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hey! What're you using to slice YOUR briskets?

Greetings, friends!

SSIA -  I see all these beautiful brisket posts with thin gorgeous slices, and I look at my own hack-job slices...  And I'm ready!

Are you all using electric knives?  What's your trick?

Thanks!
8-D

Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·

Comments

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I use a Victorinox 12" graton edge slicer #40645 and just keep it really sharp. I'm happy with how it slices:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I have an electric knife but haven't tried it on brisket yet.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I use a Victorinox 12" graton edge slicer #40645 and just keep it really sharp. I'm happy with how it slices:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I have an electric knife but haven't tried it on brisket yet.
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 442
    Simple 8" narrow blade knife. Never used an electric.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,272
    I keep my Henckels sharp, but still had difficulties with the bark on a brisket; love using my Cuisinart electric knife now:

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Same as R2EGG2Q, works great.
    ·
  • FireTowerFireTower Posts: 69
    I just bought a 10" Wustof slicing knife. It works well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009YBNT
    image.jpg 2.1M
    ·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    I use an electric carving knife as well. I also use a 10 inch slicing knife but you don't have the same control. Not to say it can't be done.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,572
    edited March 2013
    No shots of this knife w. a cooked brisket, but here's a slice off a piece of corned brisket just before it is going into the slow cooker.

A Kikuichi TKC 240mm gyuto. The edge bevel, as near as I can tell is 12 degrees per side. Don't yet have the sharpening skills to bring it to top performance. But it glides thru everything I've tried.
    ·
  • MarkzzzMarkzzz Posts: 25
    Shun Classic 10 inch hollow ground slicer.
    image.jpg 825.7K
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    I have 2 I use same as R2Egg2Q and Botch above.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • loveTheEggloveTheEgg Posts: 451
    Botch said:
    I keep my Henckels sharp, but still had difficulties with the bark on a brisket; love using my Cuisinart electric knife now:

+1

Brandon, MS
    ·
  • flemsterflemster Posts: 259
    My grandfathers carving knife. 12" Sheffield steel, very thin and flexible. Hand sharpened.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
    ·