Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Homerun (Almost)

I went to my local grocer today and had him cut three small pork loins for me 3/4" thick. I also picked up three bone in pork chops. 

I have never cooked a pork loin before.  This was more or less an experiment for me. I got some great advice here on the forum on how to prepare them. 

I laid them all out on a pan and coated them in EVOO, sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Yesterday I purchased Dizzy Dust and Raging River so I put DD on half of them and RR on the other half. 

I put a handful and a half of apple chips on right before I put them on. I cooked them on direct heat at around 250 to 300. I flipped them every three minutes until they were at 140. 

SWMBO didn't care for them. Well she liked the flavor, but she thought it was too hot. On the other hand me, my 14 year old son, and 11 year old daughter loved them!  I mean they were tender, moist, and loaded with flavor. My kids put sauce or ketchup on everything and they didn't put anything on them!!!!!!!!!! 

SWMBO can't stand any kind of heat, but hey 3 out of 4 isn't bad! 

Thanks to all of you that gave me advice. I am getting there guys!!!!!!!!!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Looks good to me, we call them tenderloin pork bites (pieces of pork tenderloin, seasoned and grilled or deep fried.) You could leave some unseasoned for the boss, you know. 

Try leaving the loin whole, same rub and cook it as one piece, even juicier, very tender. 
    Here's a great recipe:

Rocky Mountain Pork

Recipe size is for 1.5Kg (>3 pounds) of tenderloin. 

180 ml (3/4 cup) fresh lemon juice

125 ml (1/2 cup) soy sauce

90 ml (6 Tbs) honey

2 small shallots, finely chopped

2 large garlic cloves, minced or crushed

2 bay leaves, crumbled or powdered

2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt

10 ml (2 tsp) fresh ground black pepper

5 ml (1 tsp) dry mustard

15 ml (1 Tbs) ginger root, minced

5 ml (1 tsp) parsley flakes

1. Use a food processor and mix all (except the pork) together, or chop/mince as much as you can. 
    2. Put the tenderloins in a large zip lock bag and pour this marinade over them. 
    3. Store in fridge overnight, turn when you can.

Remove pork from marinade, discard marinade or boil it as below. Place on a 375-400 raised direct grid. Turn once and cook until internal temp is 145. Remove and rest, covered with foil tent for >10 minutes. 

The marinade can be boiled, reduced to make a “gravy/dipping sauce”. Ensure it boils for at least 5 minutes. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That looks like a great off-the-wall triple. Next game the wind will be blowing out, I'm sure!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Thanks guys. I am not a risk taker and don't know how to cook at all. This was the first time I ventured out of my comfort zone and tried something new. 

I can't believe how good they turned out. It was a confidence booster for me. I am ready to keep trying new things.  

I am so glad I bought myself an egg for Christmas!!!!!!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It's the gift that keeps on giving!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    It's the gift that keeps on giving!
    That is to true. It is better then being enrolled in the Jelly of the Month Club!