Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken

I have made many tandoori chicken dishes at home, the best at the time from my gas Jen-air grill and in the oven.  Today  did the tandoori on the BGE (large).  35 minutes at 500 degrees.  It was a bit of a struggle for me to get the temperature to hold still at 500, but after about 10 minutes it got there.  I used the BGE cookbook recipe as an example for the time and temperature, but used  a blend from ' Arora Creations' for the spice mix.   -SUPER GOOD-

This is my third meal cook on the egg, and I am very pleased and eggcited!

Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• Forgot the picture!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2013
    Nice choice! Start taking pics of your cooks to share. Your wife, girlfriend, fiancé, partner may look at you funny but we like pics! Love tandoori chicken. You use white or dark meat?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Your chicken looks super juicy! I've never tried Arora Creations. Can you give some details about the taste/flavor?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    There are the pics! Nice!

• caliking said:
    Your chicken looks super juicy! I've never tried Arora Creations. Can you give some details about the taste/flavor?

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR

• Chubbs said:
    Nice choice! Start taking pics of your cooks to share. Your wife, girlfriend, fiancé, partner may look at you funny but we like pics! Love tandoori chicken. You use white or dark meat?
    Legs and thighs, and yep pictures will continue, thanks!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • caliking said:
    It is less pungent than Patak's tandoori paste, and has a better flavor in my opinion.  Using Patak's paste you simply add yogurt.  Since the Arora Creations version is a pack of powder ($4), you also add olive oil and vinegar.  I can't really describe the taste beyond that, except to say it is my wife's new favorite, "the best tandoori recipe yet!"
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • caliking
    Thanks. I'll try it if I find some. Have you tried Shan Masala Tandoori mix? Also a powder, a buck and change for a packet which is usually enough for 4-6 leg quarters. It's pretty good and my go to when cooking for a lot of folks.

• Thank you, I will try the Shan Masala mix!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That looks really nice Dave!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Dave...thanks for the post.  Just ordered 6 packets of 3 different spices from Arora Creations.  Love Indian dishes, can't wait to try them.
    Fairview, Texas
  • Great!  I think the Arora tandoori was excellent, but I am looking forward to trying the Shan Masla as well.  I think I will have a party here and cook three batches, Patak's, Arora, and Shan Masala.  Taste test!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Not to be a purist at all but Indian masalas are not at all difficult if you have the right spices. In most cases the spices are toasted or fried which enhances the flavour greatly. Here is a video recipe I have used (except for the oven and electric grill part) for tandoori. You can use beet powder for the colour if you don't like the dye but it adds a little sweetness. Compensate with lemon zest if you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-lTAuHkjfQ

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Not to be a purist at all but Indian masalas are not at all difficult if you have the right spices. In most cases the spices are toasted or fried which enhances the flavour greatly. Here is a video recipe I have used (except for the oven and electric grill part) for tandoori. You can use beet powder for the colour if you don't like the dye but it adds a little sweetness. Compensate with lemon zest if you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-lTAuHkjfQ

What a great video, thanks!  I do use red food coloring for fun, I will look into beet powder now, thanks for the tip. We have various garum masala spice combinations here in the spice rack, and the BGE recipe book has the recipe to use it,  but I am just starting out and I will experiment with masala blends in the future.   Namaste!
    Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks phenomenal, Dave!!! =P~
  • Little Steven

Dave,

I forgot to say the chicken looked awesome. Just wanted to let you know that the masalas are pretty easy with a good spice supply. If you have an Indian market nearby you can walk out with everything you need in bulk for about thirty bucks for big bags of it. Check out some more of his videos. Also look at Sanjeev Kapoor

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking said:
    Thanks. I'll try it if I find some. Have you tried Shan Masala Tandoori mix? Also a powder, a buck and change for a packet which is usually enough for 4-6 leg quarters. It's pretty good and my go to when cooking for a lot of folks.
    Today I used the Shan Masala mix, very good!  Given the time between the first batch and this one, any comparison of taste would be invalid.  Very tender and flavorful, thanks for the tip.  The next tandoori chicken will be in a couple of weeks using my favorite Patak's marinade.  Then I will have to write the same report, it's all good!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Chubbs said:
    @chubbs...not only your wife but your mom, dad, sister, friends.  I don't see them looking at me funny when I am feeding their fat asses thought  =))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Chubbs
    Hahaha. Agreed.
  • Dave_Matthews
    Dave_Matthews Posts: 204
    edited March 2013
    And the leftovers this evening were far superior to the tandoori chicken I had for brunch today at my favorite Indian restaurant.  (Balanced of course by the supremely good other dishes, I don't suppose they have an tandoor oven.)

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • caliking
    Glad you liked it. As @Little Steven mentioned, nothing beats the flavor of grinding your spices, but then nothing beats the convenience of a readymade mix. When cooking for myself or a small group, I like to grind my own spices, but for a large group I use the Shan spices.

Sanjeev Kapoor's first book and earlier recipes were pretty good, but of late he has gone off the deep end. His tv show has become ridiculous.

I like the idea of your tandoori chicken report! Looking forward to the review of Patak's.

• Preparing for a 6 person Indian meal, I will use Patak's tandoori marinade this time.  If any reader has had Indian lime or mango pickle before, then you will understand that this marinade has more of that than the Arora Creations or Shan tnadoori mixes.  Very tart and aromatic.  These pictures are of the prep, final report and pictures on Sunday/Monday after I recover from the activities.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • caliking
    Keep it coming. I know about the lime and mango pickles, so I might try some Patak's.

Thanks for updating!

• Little Steven

Dave

Are you going to do them really hot?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dave_Matthews
    edited March 2013
    I plan to do them the same as my two previous cooks; 500 degrees for 35 minutes. 

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Little Steven

I can't tell from the pics. Did you cut the gashes in them. Yoghurt?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dave_Matthews
    edited March 2013
    Yes, the Patak's recipe calls for yogurt to be added to the Patak's paste, and nothing else, I added 1 cup yogurt to the jar of sauce.  I was short a bit on the paste, I needed a bit more than the single jar of Patak's that I bought, so I rubbed the meat with a Tandoori Masala spice mix powder in an attempt to compensate for the 1/4 cup deficiency.  I'm sure it will be 'all good'!  I put a few random cuts in each piece, and made sure to rub the powder in the cuts.   I added red food coloring for fun, but the Patak's sauce has plenty of good red paprika color and flavor.  This is for tomorrow night, can't wait!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • centex is lurking....me likey the Indian Food

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2013
    <P>Dave, I think there are two kinds of pataks tandoori paste/marinade. And the jars look pretty similar.</P>
    <P>One is a "concentrate" and the other ready to use. I once used the concentrate and unknowingly emptied the whole jar onto the chicken, it was not edible and we had to dump the entire meal.</P>
    <P>Just FYI.</P>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven

Pataks is all I buy if I'm not making scratch. Their vindaloo is pretty darn good too

Steve 

Caledon, ON