Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The show must go on...

Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
In the wake of Mrs. Parallel's recent medical issues, many of our friends and family who had RSVP'd for our son's seventh annual birthday bash (this year a week early due to Easter being so early) wondered if the party would be called off. Ha! Not a chance... Mrs. Parallel is a proper southern gal, therefore hospitality and entertaining is in her blood. She was incredulous when they suggested that it might be too much of a strain for her to carry on with the party plans, mostly because I'm doing a large chunk of the cooking this year even though crawfish are nearly as rare as ammo this season.

I'm about to get things set up for an overnight low and slow. On the menu is two roughly 8lb Boston butts; one dusted with dizzy dust and a traditional Southern BBQ sauce and the second a pseudo Cuban "mojo" butt. The party kicks off at 1:00 PM so I'll be looking to get the butts on the egg by about midnight.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    No doubt it'll be awesome. Whereabouts y'all at?
    Boom
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    edited March 2013
    12 hour cook, how hot are you going? I did a 7.5lb butt over night for my sons bday today and I was running an average of about 280 dome and it took about 15 hours to get to 200-205 internal
  • Parallel
    FOFB,

I'm just West of the New Orleans Metro area (the place that flooded six months ago).

Wilt,

I hope it doesn't take that long, I figured 1.5 hours per lb and the last time I did a low and slow (admittedly my FIRST low and slow) they finished up a couple of hours early.

• Parallel
    edited March 2013
    The first eight pound Boston butt was rubbed with Dizzy Dust Course (my first time using Dizzy Dust).

Then the second eight pound Boston butt came out of the mojo marinade and they both went on the 250° BGE.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    How we looking? What temps you got? Bump up heat and push her home.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Parallel
    edited March 2013
    Right now I'm at 241° grill level and I've been at 174° internal temp for a while now. I struggled all night to stabize the temperature. The Maverick alarmed a half dozen times during the night because the temp went out of spec. Should I bump it up to 275°? Is this the "plateau" I've heard about it? I've got two two and and a half hours to get it it up to 195°.

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    You are in the plateau without a doubt. It wouldn't hurt to bump it. May need to go higher than 275 with two and a half hours left. Just a suggestion but I'd probably go to 325 and raise from there as necessary.  
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My butts go on a stabilized egg at 240 degrees, thats as low as i can get it right nbow with a damaged gasket.  After an hoyr it will creep up to 260 -- as the meat heats up, the egg has less load on it - so this is natural.  Another hour, it will creep up to 270 degrees -- again the butt isn't pulling the heat from the egg.  At this point the internal temperature of the butt is around 150 to 160 degrees.  My egg temperature will remain around 270 degrees unless i bump it up.  I usually bump it up to 300 to 330 degrees after a wrap it in foil -- for the balance of my turbo cook.. 
  • WiltOnTilt
    @Parallel Did you get the heat cranked up? How did it turn out? Did you like the dizzy dust? I haven't tried it yet.
  • Parallel
    edited March 2013

@Parallel Did you get the heat cranked up? How did it turn out? Did you like the dizzy dust? I haven't tried it yet.
    Yep, I bumped the BGE up to 275° (it creeped up to 282° as it broke the plateau) and it finished with about 15 minutes to spare. I left it on until it hit 200° internal temperature then I halved the two butts, foil, towel(s) and coolered one half of each. The other half of each butt was then pulled and served directly. Those who came on time got to eat fresh off the cooker pulled pork, but even those who came later got to eat good hot pulled pork. When I took the last half out of the cooler six hours later the internal temperature was STILL 132°.

I did try the Dizzy Dust Course and I liked it a lot. The Mojo marinade was good, but next time I'll marinade it for at LEAST 36 hours. At first I thought I might not have enough pulled pork for the amount of guest we had, but as is our usual we WAY overdid the amount of food we had. We had a nacho bar, a hotdog bar, homemade meatballs for meatball subs, homemade tamale balls, seven layer taco dip and other dips with an assortment of chips and crackers to dip with, and a plethora of veggie and fruit trays. We practically forced people to take food with them when they left the party and I'll STILL be eating leftovers for the next week.

All in all it was a great party that lasted well into the evening with LOTS of good friends and family and at least 40 kids (Avengers).

• Great job!!  You rocked it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • WiltOnTilt
    Phenomenal work man! Glad it all worked out. Looks excellent!